Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Somac's '04 Outback Wagon - How to Ruin a Daily Driver

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Oh wow I'm dumb. I never even considered that to take them off. I assumed that there was either a stud that would go through the other side and into the floor, or there was a stud that came through the floor and into the bump stop that you'd have to pop the rubber off or something to get to. I tore the interior of a junkyard car apart and was getting ready to cut into the floor just to try to find the stud. Thank you!

And yes, every Legacy definitely has them. Virtually every car on the road in general has bump stops of some kind. If yours doesn't have them, someone must have removed them, but they 100% came with them. I'd check again.

I just measured my fender to ground height again. It looks like they did settle a bit. On KYB Excel-G struts made for an Outback (confirmed with part number they were Outback struts), I was at ~28.75" fender to ground. With the Bilsteins and STI pink springs, I'm now at ~26.5" fender to ground. Before when I measured shortly after install, it was around 27.25" fender to ground.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Yea, once they get started, they are basically just a big rubber-headed bolt. Assuming that the threads are not rusty, as soon as you break them loose they will unscrew by hand quite easily.

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    All BE/BH/BTs have rear bump stops regardless of region. They are next to the rear shock, the rubber cone to the right in this picture. Your car does (did?) have them.
    Forgot about those. I was thinking about the shock-mounted type for some reason.
    2001 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan 5spd
    Delta 1500 Cams/ DNA Motoring UEL Headers/ Magnaflow 14829 Catback/ Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in/ Perrin Crank Pulley/ Tein S-Tech Springs/ KYB Struts/ Paranoid Fabrications Rear Tophat Spacers/ Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars/ eBay Front Strut Bar/ Drag DR-31 Wheels/ Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel/ Yakima Roof Rack/ Putco Yellow Fog Bulbs/ 170,000+ Miles

Level
    Achievements:
    It's been a while since I've posted anything here, mainly since I've been so panicked and busy with getting the car prepped, so I guess it's time for updates galore.

1. I got my exhaust fixed finally. The midpipe rusted out and broke right before the flange where the midpipe meets the axleback, so I had a new midpipe made out of 2.25" piping with a single Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. The car is, once again, ultra quiet. I'm probably going to take off the Bosal Brospeed axleback and have a new section made up with a different muffler that's just a little bit more aggressive and in 2.25". Might end up going with an XForce Varex so I can be quiet for my neighbors and high flow when I want it.

2. I borrowed some JDM V9 STI seats from my buddy so I could drive the car and not slide around in my seat. They're amazing and I'm buying a set for myself soon.

3. After essentially realizing that the STI pink springs I got were for a sedan even though they were on wagon struts, I ended up swapping out the rear springs for stock Outback springs and the car sits level enough now.

4. I got my STI door sills, Cusco strut bar, type D headlight leveling switch, and power folding mirror switch. Got the STI door sills and Cusco bar installed. I have to figure out which switch I want to remove from my 3-switch panel or end up with an extra switch panel like what I think @amgarrety has underneath the radio. I think I'll take out the heated wiper switch at the same time as the heated mirror switch and try to see if I can work both of those to come on with the rear defroster since those will all be used at the same time anyways. That'll give me room to use the headlight leveling switch and power folding mirrors once I order the actual mirrors.

5. I got the whole Whiteline rear control arm kit and Megan camber arms installed. My old toe bolts were heeaaavvilllyyy seized up and I ended up having to use my torch to cut the old arms apart to get the bolts out. I replaced a lot of the bolts holding the arms with new dealer replacements since a lot of them were pretty rusty, too. I got an alignment at the track and dialed in around -1.5* of camber in the front, -2.0* in the rear, some mild toe out in the front and toe in in the rear, and as much caster as possible.

6. I tracked the wagon! Went out to Gingerman Raceway for Gridlife Music and Motorsports Festival. This is my fourth time going and it was my favorite time yet. Tons of amazing time attack and drift cars and even some sweet HPDE and show cars. Got to see some of my favorite EDM artists at night so that was awesome. Definitely recommend the event to anyone even remotely interested.

I drove for the weekend and I'm so happy with how the car did. The instructor I was with has a supercharged TrackMod-classed E46 M3 and kept saying the whole time how impressed he was with how much grip the car had and how he wishes his E46 had that much grip coming out of corners and how it felt so good compared to other Subarus he's driven/instructed, even with the amount of weight that's getting thrown around. I had him drive it for a session afterwards and he really thrashed it and showed me how much the car could take. I spun the car on a hard turn that I carried too much speed through and almost lost it a couple more times but corrected and saved it. I stayed on a mildly modified Miata's ass for most of a session and depressingly, he took me in the straights.

Between sessions, I tried swapping out my stock brakes for the 4/2 pots and I ended up breaking off a bleeder screw in one of the 4 pots after I installed all the calipers, so I had to go back to stock and just flushed the fluid. All the pads and rotors were still looking great. Managed to get essentially 2 full hours of track time in with 6 20-minute sessions. Even when hot lapping the car running two sessions back to back with no cool down time, the car still responded great. The tires got greased up pretty quickly but that was to be expected out of some junky stock tires. I'm still able to daily drive on those same brakes and tires.

The car packed half of an auto shop's worth of tools, a spare set of wheels and tires, all of my camping gear, tent, sleeping bag, clothes for the weekend, and replacement parts and fluids for everything. Then I was able to track it, thrash it, load it all back up, and drive it home. I literally could not have asked for more.

Now that I'm back home, I have more work to do. I bought some H&R springs that I'm going to install since these STI springs didn't work out on my wagon. I still have to install the Killer B oil pickup and baffle with the STI pan. The 4/2 pots will have to be repaired now and I'm thinking of just replacing all of the pistons while I'm at it since a lot of them were corroded or damaged. I'm going to order some JDM V8 STI seats since they're a good compromise between fit and looks (blue headrest that looks better imo and tight without being too tight for some of my bigger passengers like the V7s might be). Still have to install the spoiler and get the car painted, get rid of the subframe spacers, install the Legacy front LCAs, Whiteline ball joints and tie rods, and some more stuff.

Cosmetically, I'm just looking for random dress up pieces at this point. I kinda want a Zero/Sports blue oil cap or a Greddy one, a Zero/Sports 1.3bar blue radiator cap, a Zero/Sports Cool Action II TMIC splitter, and Zero/Sports radiator cooling plate. I hate that I want all of this useless stuff that won't improve the car in any way, but I'm just a sucker for it.

Level
    Achievements:
    I realized I haven't really taken a picture of the car in a while, so I guess here's a couple in all of its dirty, mismatched paint, mismatched suspension goodness:

And a short and somewhat hilarious video of it getting tossed around.

https://goo.gl/photos/b36LobpSeg2oxvcN7

The funniest thing in my mind is the sound difference between my car and the following 350Z and E46. I almost feel like I shouldn't have fixed my exhaust before the event now, haha.

Next up mod-wise:

Install H&R springs all around.
    Install Whiteline ball joints, tie rods, and JDM aluminum FLCAs.
    Replace sway bar bushings.

Other than that, the car is going to be on hold for a little while since I'm buying a bike to finish riding out through the summer and turn into a winter project.

Level
    Achievements:
    I've had just about no motivation to get stuff done on this car so I haven't really tried to do anything big.

I decided to finally sort out my fog lights. I never wired in the JDM lights because I never seriously use fog lights at all. I ordered up some Hella Optilux XY fog light bulbs for that ricey JDM yellow look. The fogs are effectively useless anyways so I figure it's no real loss. Got some 9006 extension harnesses and made some USDM -> JDM fog light plug and play adapters so I can still go back to the USDM lights.

The bulbs are a straight gold in person but they show up pretty amber in pictures. Pretty close to the color I wanted.

Level
    Achievements:
    Just as another small update of things I forgot to add:

I got a type D B4 honeycomb grille to replace my version B option grille. I like the option grille, but it's a little too wild for me and I like the honeycomb a lot. Much cleaner, imo. I'll still hold onto both grilles in case I ever want to swap back.

I also managed to find a brand new Subaru dual power socket for a Legacy. Part number H6710AC000. Looks like it's for a BD/BG but people have made it work in a BE/BH. Gonna see if I can't make it work, too. I have no use for the ash tray so this'll be a nice addition, even though I don't really have use for the extra ports, either. I might make them run always hot so I can charge my phone with the car all the way off.

Also very sad, but I gave the JDM STI seats back to my buddy now that I'm done driving the car hard. I suddenly hate driving this car again. It's amazing how much the seats change the feel of the car. These stock leathers are just awful. Yet another item that'll have to be put on hold though. I might try to see (far down the road) if I can just pick up some cheap poor condition JDM V8/V9 seats and have them reupholstered in black like the Spec-C seats instead.

EDIT: Yep, the dual power socket definitely won't fit unless I want to chop up my radio bezel and even then I still have to mount it somehow. Looks like it'll go up for sale here.
    Last edited by Somac; 07-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, nothing has really happened with the wagon at all. It's been reliable, which is nice, and I haven't been able to say that about many cars I've messed with.

Ended up buying a bike (and sold it and bought another) so I've been riding that out through the summer.

Kept going back and forth on what color I want to do the car in when I finally get it painted. The decision was between matching the bumper to the rest of the two tone or going all Obsidian Black Pearl. I think I decided on all OBP, as much as I like the two-tone. The black is just so much more aggressive and sleek.

Also just ordered a set of Morimoto MH1 7.0s so I'll finally be retrofitting the spare set of type D JDM lights I have to hopefully have decent light output again. The MH1s should fit in the D2R spot decently well but they might look a little out of place. Oh well. Going by this pic, it shouldn't be too bad:

That's unfortunately it for now. The bike will be getting the attention for the rest of the season, then I'll go back to working on the car. My buddy just decided to swap a JDM EJ205 into his SF9 Forester so I'll be wiring that for him, which will be good practice for me to swap my car. I was considering just doing an EZ30D swap, but the tiny power increase just isn't worth it for the time involved, so it'll likely be an EJ205 or EJ255 if I actually do it.

Only other thing I'm happy about is that I'm picking up said buddy's Xforce Varex muffler from him off of his WRX. I've wanted one for a while but just didn't want to spend $300 on a muffler. This'll give me the perfect compromise of loudness when I want it but quiet for pulling into my neighborhood.
    Last edited by Somac; 09-07-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, nothing much has changed. Picked up some Evo 8 Recaros in rough condition. Love the feel of them.

Also finally mounted my JDM spoiler today. Got tired of seeing this bland-ass rear end and just drilled some holes and threw it on. I've been psyching myself out of it for so long and not wanting to damage the hatch and I finally said screw it. It's dark so no pictures yet.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Those Recaro's are so comfortable. Your Outback is looking good!
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks! I love them.

Got a pic of the JDM spoiler on in the light, not that a picture of mine was really needed to see what it looks like.

Organized a group buy for the JDM Defi triple gauge dash pod from a Russian replica maker, so this'll be adorning my dash in mirrored form soon, along with a bunch of black interior plastics to replace the gray USDM ones. I guess my car will be RUDM now?

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, did a stupid thing and bought more stuff instead of parting the car out like I should at this point.

Armrest extension, leather armrest lid, S401 airbag, Zerosports cooling plate, and an Arc carbon fiber scoop extension.

I'm pretty excited for the armrest extension. Gonna have to make a bracket to make it work with my center console, but I hate how low the stock center console is so this should be a good improvement.

Level
    Achievements:
    Why should you be parting it out? Did I miss something?

Level
    Achievements:
    Nah, I just keep looking at my own thread title and realizing how silly it is for me to put so much money into a DD, haha. I may be moving next year and can't take the car so I may have a return-to-stock partout and sell the car then, though.

Level
    Achievements:
    Got some more parts in the mail so I got up and did something productive, I guess.

Installed my Zerosports radiator shroud along with some Prova Eifel carbon fiber hood struts in the engine bay, along with my Arc carbon fiber scoop extension.

The hood struts are such a nice convenience upgrade over the hood prop rod.

Also finally bought a ring for my girlfriend, so there goes my EJ208 swap money. 😅

Level
    Achievements:
    Went to a couple junkyards today and had a decent score for what I was after.

I got:
    a whole H6 intake, minus the snorkel (grrrr)
    Auto HVAC unit
    McIntosh head unit
    Cubby with VDC off switch
    Cubby with door
    McIntosh sub cover (My current one says Subaru)
    Outback/GT headlight caps so I can make more type D headlight adapters
    Cluster harnesses so I can make more type D BFM adapters

Got the H6 intake just to have something I know will work in this chassis instead of trying to fit a WRX/STI one if I eventually do a swap.

Also have a few parts coming in from Japan that I'm pretty excited about. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks when they finally all get settled.

Gonna make up a couple BFM adapter harnesses today since people have asked for them so at least that'll keep me busy through the weekend.

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Nice work on this thing!

Well done! This is turning out to be a very cool looking car. Nice upgrades!

Level
    Achievements:
    Did you get the servos and sensors from the heater box from that H6 car? Also, if you want to use that McIntosh radio, did you grab the amp from under the passenger seat as well as the umbilical cable between them?

Level
    Achievements:
    Thank you all!

Did you get the servos and sensors from the heater box from that H6 car? Also, if you want to use that McIntosh radio, did you grab the amp from under the passenger seat as well as the umbilical cable between them?
    Just starting off grabbing stuff. Going to be pulling the whole dash harness from that car along with the amp and other things and I'll be doing the whole auto HVAC swap. Realistically I'm not going to use the McIntosh parts, though. I already have the factory rear sub without having to deal with the McIntosh integration and I already have an aftermarket head unit. This was more of just a grab because I can kind of thing.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Somac View Post
    Thank you all!

Just starting off grabbing stuff. Going to be pulling the whole dash harness from that car along with the amp and other things and I'll be doing the whole auto HVAC swap. Realistically I'm not going to use the McIntosh parts, though. I already have the factory rear sub without having to deal with the McIntosh integration and I already have an aftermarket head unit. This was more of just a grab because I can kind of thing.
    The factory Subwoofer you speak of... does it sit on the right side of the cargo compartment on a BH, behind a 6x9 grill? I noticed a few at the wreckers. I also noticed on the parcel deck of my BE, that there is a single 6x9 mounting on the left side. I wondered why there was just 1 and now I think that is for the factory Sub! Im going to look in the morning and see if its prewired! If so, my next trip to the wreckers, I will snag one!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    The factory Subwoofer you speak of... does it sit on the right side of the cargo compartment on a BH, behind a 6x9 grill? I noticed a few at the wreckers. I also noticed on the parcel deck of my BE, that there is a single 6x9 mounting on the left side. I wondered why there was just 1 and now I think that is for the factory Sub! Im going to look in the morning and see if its prewired! If so, my next trip to the wreckers, I will snag one!
    It should only be wired if you have a GT, Outback Limited, or H6, all of which would also have the speaker itself. That may or may not be true for the 2000 model year, however.. 2000 was an oddball when it came to a lot of things.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    Yep, that's the spot! The BH gets one in the rear right compartment whereas the BE gets one in the rear left deck.

Level
    Achievements:
    It should only be wired if you have a GT, Outback Limited, or H6, all of which would also have the speaker itself. That may or may not be true for the 2000 model year, however.. 2000 was an oddball when it came to a lot of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somac View Post
    Yep, that's the spot! The BH gets one in the rear right compartment whereas the BE gets one in the rear left deck.
    Well, mine is a 2000 Outback Limited, but no wiring for it. I'll keep the area in mind when I get around to doing a better stereo, in the future.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Great build! "When" you plan to part out (I have no idea why you would), please let me take first crack at some of your parts. I would love to add them to my Tank.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:
    Made some small changes.

STI option ST8500066050 cluster. S401 airbag. E'sam LED mirror covers on JDM power folding mirrors.

Excited for some more parts to show up, too.

My motor doesn't sound like it's going to be holding on for too much longer so I should probably start saving for a swap.

Level
    Achievements:
    Finally got the windows tinted. 50% front windshield, 35% front windows, 20% everywhere else. Just about the perfect amount. Kind of wish I went 35% on the windshield but it's still great for now.

Then I picked up some more goodies after.

I forgot just how wide USDM STI seats are. I feel like I'm just sliding around in them compared to my Recaros.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, it's been a while since I've posted updates.

I kind of realized how much money it would take to build the car how I wanted it. I watched other similar cars sell for virtually nothing compare to what was invested and I realized the smart move was to move on. I parted the car out of all aftermarket stuff and just sold the car almost completely stock today. I left the Bilsteins, Whiteline stuff, and Kartboy short throw on and that's it. New owner was pretty happy with it and requested the suspension stayed on and wanted the front end, too, but couldn't afford it for now. Hopefully he'll pick it all up at a later time.

For now, all of my parts are up for sale and they'll be posted in the for sale section. I've already sold some of it off but most of it is still here.

I'm planning on getting back into another Outback for a daily again but this time I'll have a more fun car as my weekend warrior and probably an auto H6 BP Outback instead. I'll be flying out to get my new fun car within a few days.

Thanks for the help to everyone here! This is legitimately one of the best forums I've ever been on as far as community/available information/diving in the deep end. I'll still be around for a while!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123