Thread: I want a little more power

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered

I want a little more power

Hi all.

I have an EJ22E and was wondering if there was anything I could do for less than a small fortune to up the HP output. Not really looking to force induction, as that is a ROYAL PITA on an NA. Just maybe upgrading parts here and there to get a few more HP. I already need/want a new exhaust system (2-inch pipe w/UEL and mild muffler)

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
    '96 Subaru "Grandma" Legacy L

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Here's a start.
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/t90500...s-per-mod.html

And the standard disclaimer- There's not a whole lot you can do with the 2.2 without getting to the point where a turbo would cost the same and give more power. Personally, I'd be interested if you get some gains and how much with NA mods.
    From what I've read, stock 2.2s dyno somewhere around 85 to 95 HP. You might get 110 HP with enough mods.
    Equal length headers are better for HP. Most use UEL for the Subie rumble, not power.
    You're intake is what I swapped into my '97 EJ22 (seems to have upped the HP) so I don't think there's much to gain by a CAI. Could be wrong.
    Deltacam.com will regrind your camshafts inexpensively for a few HP but you'll have to remove, ship them and reinstall.
    Of course there's the Frankenmotor using your 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block but reliability might be an issue. I'd be interested if anyone here has a long term success story with the Frankenmotor.
    Allucard here on the forum knows his way around EJ22s. He's very helpful.

Good luck!
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    shanditalia458 - how much is a "little more power"? N/A mods will be the most expensive. The biggest gain/$ will be swapping to the EJ25 bottom end for considerably more torque. Otherwise to get more perceived "power" is reducing rotational mass along the drivetrain. (lightweight flywheel if you have a 5MT, lightweight wheels) And if your jurisdiction allows replacement of the OEM cat converter with a highflow cat, along with equal-length headers and 2"-2.25" catback plus the cam grind, you'll max out the N/A mods.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Agreed on light weight parts. My 2800 lb. Legacy feels more energetic than my 3000+ lb. Outback. Very similar feel before the weight drop. Of course some people want their back seats, roof racks and stereos:->
    Only two cams on the '96 EJ22. Anyone know if the engine needs to be pulled to swap them out? Cams plus headers might be worth doing if no (or minor) labor costs are involved, then the EJ25 short block if budget allows. Still not anywhere near fast but more fun as a DD.
    Here's the equal lengths I would go for should my situation improve.
    http://www.infernofab.com/exhaust.html

Thought this might be helpful.
    "I have also passed (emission tests) several cars with Ej22 heads and Delta torque grinds in them. The cams pose no issue on emissions compliance and not only increase power, but when driven without red mist, fuel economy goes up, not down, by a couple mpg. It makes sense. They make the engine more efficient, so why shouldn't the mileage get better in regular everyday usage?" -from Matt Monson Nasioc
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer