Thread: rattling in transmission when engine breaking

rattling in transmission when engine breaking

I have a 1999 legacy gt with the 5mt transmission with about 200 thousand miles on it and whenever I engine braking (wheels driving engine) there is a very loud rattle coming from what sounds like the transmission. it really only happens at lower rpm (under 3000) and if I put the clutch in the sounds goes away. the problem also seems to get worse the longer you drive it and is very bad after long streches of highway travle meaning that more heat makes it worse. I know the center differential is bad so i've been assuming the the bearing on the diff was the ratteling noise but after doing some more research I'm begining to second guess myself. I've found a couple other posts online with the same problem but no one i've seen has found a solution. This is a video someone posted with the same issue. It's from a 2006 legacy but its the same sound so I leads me to beleve that its a problem with the 5mt transmission because thats really the only things that the cars have in commen. my best guess at this point would be that the center differential is just so worn that there is play in the spacing between the spyder gears. Any input would be much appreciated.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    So I found the problem with my transmission. When I was replacing the center diff in my transmission I found that both rear outputshaft bearing had a lot of play and would rattle in the race when decelerating. Since I couldn't find anyone that would press on new bearing I had to get a used transmission and take everything from the center diff back. Hopefully this helps someone.

This helps me a lot bud!! I've been having the same issue with my 95 5mt. Car has 260k on motor and I'm not sure on the trans. Original trans went out and was swapped for a used but there wasn't any paperwork when I bought the car a couple weeks ago. Any other info you could provide, or maybe a how-to if you have time, would really help me out. I can press in a new bearing. What bearing? Where is it located and how much/what part number. Also, was it the center diff making the racket or the bearing? This is my first Subaru so I'd like to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks for your time!

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Sometimes you get clutch chatter - this comes from a worn throw out bearing in the clutch assembly. If the chatter or chirping goes away when the clutch pedal is slightly depressed, it's a good bet that it's the T/O bearing.

When I had my 5MT, I installed a Tranquil "TSK" snout repair kit. This is essentially a sleeve with an oversized T/O bearing. Clutch engagement was fantastic, smooth and it protected the snout on the shaft.

This is the company that makes the TSK:
    https://www.flatironstuning.com/p-26...epair-kit.aspx
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Thanks for the reply! Would this also explain the jerky acceleration (throttle at normal driving position, not hot rodding) mainly in 1st, 2nd, and if I get into 3rd under 30mph it'll do it also.

It seems like I could have multiple issues. Clutch chatter, bad rear output shaft bearings, and possibly a center/rear diff issue.

Maybe I should save some time and trouble down the road and just find a new/reman transmission. My plans for the car are to work on it with my son. I'd like to lift it slightly, 2.5 swap maybe or boost the 2.2..... anyways the point is, I'd rather spend the money since I plan on keeping it.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    I'd say, if you want to save a bit of coin, I would just find a used, good condition transmission, and fit the TSK kit before installing. New clutch, fluids etc.

Then the old transmission can become a rebuild project for your son to mess with different ratios etc.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Tsk kit. Alright cool, I'll look into that. Thanks for your input!!