Thread: Thomas' Legacy 2.0GT, I mean, 2.0D

Thomas' Legacy 2.0GT, I mean, 2.0D

Hi all

For over a year I've been on the hunt for a decent 2.0GT wagon, a car that I absolutely adore. But... the fact they only made them in RHD is really putting my off. I've ridden a friends JDM blobeye STi and altough it's ok-ish, I can't see myself riding a RHD car every day.
    So, I started to look for other options (brands) and was always drawn back to the LGT... I found a way how to convert a LHD N/A Legacy to LGT legally using an LGT as a donor, but again, a lot of (paper-)work.

FF to the present and I bought something that looks like a GT, has loads of torque, but doesn't sound, feel or smells like a GT... I made a pact with lucifer and bought a diesel Legacy... Not just any diesel, to make matters worse, it's a IVth gen car which means they have the fragile engine and to add even more misery to it, it was stored at some dealership's yard.
    Altough the first engine was replaced by a brand spanking new one in 2012 and the car has a new clutch fitted to it, the previous owner got fed up with it after it had gone trough both of the front driveshafts.

Luckely, the car was cheap. I made an even cheaper offer and had the car delivered to my house the next day.

So, here is the start of an adventure in trying to make this thing pretty again, adding some go fast(-er) bits and ofcourse, some handle very good bits.

Update 1

I started with removing both of the front driveshafts. The left one was knackered and already had some zip-tie fitted boots (which I don't like), the right one was in better shape, but I removed it never the less.

Those eagle-eyed lurkers on here will for sure notice the small dent in the front wing . A replacement has been sourced, just need the inner arch liner.

Update 2

Once I had the driveshafts removed, I could continue with removing both front struts. I don't know how this car got trough its last tech inspection, because both struts look like they have been rotting away in the ocean.

Since I was at it, I removed the front brakes and hubs. Don't know if I could bare leaving this brake setup stock, still have to decide.
    The hubs were 'on sale' on a local webshop, so bought a pair.

I Noticed the front stabiliser bar rubbers were shot, so ordered a pair this morning and picked them up after work. Only €10 (=USD12), so cheapest fix up to know.

Yes, that is a torch. I'm one of those crazy guys who like to work outside, in the cold, with his back on the floor just because he wants to do some work on the car whilest the misses is out.

Maybe a bit to much grease on them, but don't want any noise coming from them.

Update 3

Had to jump start the car yesterday (dead battery from sitting) and needed a few attempt. Turned out (what a surprise) my Outback H6's battery is not suited for the diesel lump, so called in help in the form of my parents diesel volvo XC70. Car started right away, but shows VDC and CEL light.

Read out the codes today and I think they are all related to the low voltage from the first attempst. I'm sure the car was not showing any coded when I first got it.

Quite nice that the car shows what's wrong with it...

Furthemore, 2l of coolant was missing, filled it up and let it idle for 15 mins. Level didn't change and no pressure on the system either. Hope there is no mystery leak somewhere since I can't seem to find any deposit or visible leak.

Update 4

Nothing special to mention, but just keeping things alive. Ordered 2 new front hubs, installed the left one last week, second one toninght when I got home from work.

Last edited by *thomas*; 10-09-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Very nice find. I have always liked the diesels since James May drove a diesel on and episode of Top Gear. He made it from Switzerland to northern England on one tank.

Thanks. At the time I was not into Subaru AT ALL. I had no clue what was so special about that boxer diesel.

I still somewhat disappointed that Subaru never managed to make the diesel lump any better. If I wasn't such a subie fan, I would never consider this type of engine since there are a lot more diesel engines that have more power and/or are easier to tune AND are a lot less prone to issues.

But, at the same time, I see it as a challange to turn this car into a very solid, relatively quick and good handling car.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    https://www.facebook.com/subarudiesel/

You should check out this company if you have not yet. They may be able to help you source parts. They are US based I think.

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassO.G.5000 Experience Points
    I love it, can't wait to see what you do with it
    1999 Legacy GT Wagon 5SPD (Stella)" Race Wagon"
    V7 STI Drivetrain, STI 6MT, R180, Brembos, JDM EJ205 "Big port AVCS", Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, a lot of JDM Parts and much much more...
    2006 Legacy 2.5i Wagon A/T SWP SE "Slow Wagon" 20% Tint, JDM Tails, JDM Rear Fog, GT Leather
    1997 Legacy GT Wagon
    1998 Legacy L Wagon
    @TylerHartman on Instagram
    http://www.facebook.com/hartman.tyler
    Thanks Tyler

Thanks, Tyler.

I just ordered a pair of replacement front shocks to have the car going again, but that's just temporary.

Had a stop at the local body shop last week, they'll send me a quoto for some repairs somewhere this week. I hope to have the body work fixed and the car road legal at the end of the month... Fingers crossed.

Finally got comfirmation that the shocks are being shipped. They come from Germany, so should take 2 days.

More good news, placed an order in the US. I know I shouldn't rush things and the car might be a total lemon once I get it running... But hey, you know...

Last edited by *thomas*; 10-10-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Update 5

The last couple of weeks things went a bit slow on the Legacy-side. The website on which I ordered the front shock absorbers had some trouble with delivery, the seals from the gearbox were knackered and took 5 days (weekend) to get to the dealer and I had to have the springs mounted on the shocks by the dealer.

I reset the board computer by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal and the fault codes dissappeared. So I'm well chuffed with that.

Brakes look like ****, but they work fine and will receive an update once the car is road legal again.

Did a quick oil and filter change today. Will do a second one after 1000 miles to make sure all the junk is removed from the sump.

And yes, the engine bay needs a very, very good clean. Furthermore, I'll change the crank pulley and idlers/tensioners. But those can wait for now.

Last edited by *thomas*; 10-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Glad to see you're cleaning her up! Hopefully it's a bit of a smoother drive once you take care of the rest of this. Those Rotas should look pretty nice!

The car still needs a lot of TLC:
    - the exterior needs a torough wash before it goes to the paintshop
    - the brakes need replacing (pads have approx 3mm left on them, but good enough for tech inspection) and possibly an upgrade
    - the interior is very tidy, bit has a horrible smell to it due to the car sitting still for over a year
    - the engine bay needs a clean

And, I hope the engine is ok. Started the car after the oil change and it shakes when you get the between 1700 and 2200. Maybe it's the nature of the engine, maybe it's a bad engine mount, or, worst case, the engine is toast... But, this car needs a second life and I won't give up on her. Can you all just sense the drama .

Ok, no fun today .

Finished the car off last weekend to get it trough tech inspection and was going for a small testdrive today. The car clonks (judders) when going foward/backward in gear. The sound comes from the front (right side) and is gone once the car gets going.

When making a turn, the *clonk clonk* is even worse.

I checked everything (axle shafts, front shoks, axle nut), and all is tight.

What could it be? Visco?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Did you check the ball joints?

Yes, all good

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Check that your swaybar mounts are tight, and the bushings are greased.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Will do, but it feels like something is giving resistance when trying to go forward our make a (sharp) bend.

Yes, the sound increases immensly when turning right... Which makes me think it's the LH driveshaft that is worn. Could very well be the case, since I bought a second hand one for that side (and a new, OEM one for the right side).

But, with bad weather on it's way, I decided it would be better to hand it of to the dealer, one I trust.

Friend of mine towed the car to the dealership this afternoon. Dealer tought it was a CV joint to, but wants to do a full check before drawing any conslusions.

Ok, bad news. The dealer finally had some time to go over the car and it turns out the center diff is dead... Will call them tomorrow and see how things go.

There is no way I'm changing the diff myself, not on my driveway that is. Way to cold and it's dark when I get back home from work.

The car has been sold to a breakers. It had suffered terminal transmission damage and the engine was not in a good shape. A shame and it will my first and last venture into subaru DIESEL engines... I'm thinking Forester SF or SG, I had both of them before and they are cool cars.