Thread: EZ36D Swap from Tribeca!!!

Wink EZ36D Swap from Tribeca!!!

Alright, Hear me out.

I am in the early stages of debating between "Project Big Turbskie" or "Project Sti". "Project STI" is a swap i would rather think about if "Project Big Turbskie" isn't possible....

So my current questions are; (1) will an EZ36D fit in a third generation Legacy, (2) can I use the, open source tunable, ECU from a 2009 Tribeca Ecu: DZ1E402B, (3) would you use push and pull fans for the radiator or just push fans? I know i will be upgrading the cooling system a lot but I'm not familiar with how tight everything will be. I want to make it look like it came that way from the factory if possible.

Also... "Project Big Turbskie" will be in several parts.. IE turbo will be later down the line when I can get different pistons and space the heads to get a lower CR within the cylinder walls. This will be my education project since I'm learning about engines and want to get into performance building! I have several professionals who are willing to help me achieve my goals so swapping won't be hard. Just making the wiring harness and engine fitment is what I think will be the hardest!

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Should be interesting!
    Im pretty sure there are a few EZ30 engines in 2nd and 3rd Gens, how different are the EZ30 and EZ36 engines??

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    Should be interesting!
    Im pretty sure there are a few EZ30 engines in 2nd and 3rd Gens, how different are the EZ30 and EZ36 engines??
    They are significantly different. Here is thread with an ez30 to ez36 swap.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...light=girodisc

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    Should be interesting!
    There are differences as 98legwag said but im not swapping from a 3.0 so I’m consid ring everything as a huge undergoing. It has a lower CR than the 3.0 and larger displacement, due mostly to stroke, so that’s why I want to try and use it over the 3.0 even though I won’t be able to rev it to the moon and back.

I haven’t seen many EZ36 swaps but I haven’t done any major research in the swap because I’m getting a stand-alone ECU for whichever swap I end up doing. I’ll be enlisting help from subi shops around here. I’ve had considered an EE20 swap but after doing more cost analysis all three are seeming to almost be similar in pricing +/- $500 but I haven’t finished research on the EE20 so... I’m just looking for answers and I’ll be posting questions I can’t find here. Once I get to the point of swap them I’ll be posting pictures and other info here but there is probable another couple of years before I actually get to the swap depending on what I do. EZ36 seems like the easiest but the EE20 would be incredibly unique and I love unique.

I was considering a regular swap like an EZ30 from an H6 outback but that ECU is not cape able of open source tuning so I just figured I’ll pour all my money into this and make it a car I wanted from the start with the benefits of cheaper insurance and a full standalone ECU

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    The EZ36 will physically fit, and using the original ECU for it is recommended if you arent going with a standalone... Who is doing the harness merge?

Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    I am pretty sure that all EZ36 are CanBus. Standalone as you already mentioned I believe will be your only option.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    If you have the original matching ECU, BIU, Cluster, Key, and Key cylinder.. there is no reason why it wouldnt work, but merging all that together with an older car might be pretty challenging. But I do agree that going Standalone is probably a more reasonable option.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    The EZ36 will physically fit, and using the original ECU for it is recommended if you arent going with a standalone... Who is doing the harness merge?
    I haven’t figured that part yet but I have taken electronics courses so I’ll probably work with a local subie speed shop. And I am thinking that since some of the stock ECU’s for the EZ36 are free to open source tuning I would hopefully be able to delete all the stuff I would likely have to change otherwise. I’m just not too terribly familiar with open source tuning... yet.

I was figuring stand-alone will be my eventual approach but if I could get an ECU and harness and engine for the only a little extra $$$ then that would be nice for starters.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Have you watched the supergramps mcm series on YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by hupshall View Post
    Have you watched the supergramps mcm series on YouTube?
    Interestingly enough I haven’t. I have been meaning to though