Thread: Legacy headlights question

Legacy headlights question

Hi everyone, folks, can someone help me do the similar headlights design. I have got Legacy, and here is she:
    Name:  7878.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  87.7 KB
    Now, here is what I would like to see as a result (see this WRX STI, especially its headlight design):
    Name:  wrx lights.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  23.3 KB
    Taken from https://www.carid.com/gallery/subaru/wrx/ - 2nd Subie in the top row.
    And now, here is a very approximate drawing of what I want it to be:
    Name:  headlight.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  19.7 KB
    Decided to draw it in my tablet as well as I can, as it is quite difficult to explain every detail. So, I've got my Legacy, my headlight, the shape is in the pic, and I want it to glow like the WRX that's above. Now, I understand that many people use that diode strip, but it gives uneven glow, and to me looks very cheap. And I also couldn't find any Legacy headlight customization kit on ebay, amazon etc.
    So maybe someone could give me a good idea on what to use for this sort of design? As I already have an idea on how to disassemble lights and how to connect the wiring of this auxiliary lighting to the DRLs.
    Will be grateful for any ideas or thoughts you'll share!

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    The way they do that is using a piece of clear plastic and backlight the edge with LEDs. The plastic works as a lens and that way you dont see the pinpoint light from each LED. Maybe you could go to TAP plastic of similar shop?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    The way they do that is using a piece of clear plastic and backlight the edge with LEDs. The plastic works as a lens and that way you dont see the pinpoint light from each LED. Maybe you could go to TAP plastic of similar shop?
    Haven't heared about such shops before, I will definitely google one that is close to me. And I am surprised it is a plastic thing, you know. That's definitely not a DIY mod, at least for me. I thought it is a sort of universal flexible LED thing, you know...
    Thanks for good explanation, man!

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    From what I have seen, the flexible ones from O'Reilly just look cheap! I would skip trying to make it look more modern. Open them up, get rid of the orange reflector, paint any chrome areas that arent reflecting light (black or color match to the body), polish out the lens. Then put in high quality bulbs, like Osram or my favorite to run is Cyclops Adventure Sports LEDs