Thread: Exedy Stage 1

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Exedy Stage 1

Hey all. The timing belt on my BD skipped and ending up bending a valve. Long story short, while it's ripped apart I'm considering ordering an Exedy stage 1 clutch (part # 15801) for it, but I have questions. I've read mixed opinions on flywheel requirements when installing this clutch. Some say stock is fine, some say stock has to be machined, some say stock RS fly works, some say you need to upgrade flywheel. Anybody with experience installing this clutch that can advise me? Thanks.
    '99 Legacy GT Limited
    '05 Impreza 2.5 RS
    '08 Outback XT Limited
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Any particular reason you are after an upgraded clutch kit? Looking to make some more power in the future perhaps?
    For a stock 2.5DOHC NA I would just go with a stock Subaru Exedy unit. I would get the one right from Subaru (Subaru part number one) (via the cheapest means possible) as it has dual springs in the clutch disc as opposed to the single springs in the Exedy stock replacement (Exedy stock replacement part number and Subaru Exedy stock replacement are actually different). I swapped a EZ30D into my BK and went with a stock 07 WRX clutch and Exedy light weight flywheel and its great. No chatter, no heavy pedal or issues.

In regards to your flywheel I would bring it to a machine shop and see what they think. I would always recommend getting it machined although if you are on a super tight budget and there is no heavy burns on it you can clean it up with some scotch brite pads or a fine sandpaper and sanding block.

Ryan

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    @FiveZigen Can you please put some part numbers of "Exedy stock replacement part number" and "Subaru Exedy stock replacement" ?

I am after FJK2018 kit -> Clutch Cover FJC517, Clutch Disc FJD013U, Bearing BRG833 but is there a better "Subaru Exedy stock replacement" ??
    Subaru Legacy GL EJ20 (BH, year 2002)

Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Kamion,

The stock Subaru replacement clutch disc part number is 30100AA851 and it looks like this:

Name:  30100AA851.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  71.1 KB

The Exedy replacement disc part number you provided looks like this:

Name:  82f5192s-960.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  207.8 KB

While both are made by Exedy in Japan and both have the same application if you look closely at the torsion springs in the disc you will see the Subaru part number has dual springs (one inside the other) where as the Exedy non Subaru branded part number has single much larger springs.

While both will work just fine if I can find an oem unit that will hold my expected torque then I personally would go that route. What ever you choose both will work.

A full Subaru OEM parts clutch kit can be sourced on Ebay for around $300.00.

When I put together my EZ30 swap I pieced mine together and went with an 07 WRX oem clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork (stronger then our stock one) and pivot (required in my case due to the the clutch fork) as well as a Exedy light weight flywheel FF502 (12.7 lbs)

Ryan

Level
    Achievements:
    Aight so toss my original idea. I've sort of been getting mod fever as my leggy get's closer to living again. I've moved away from the thought of stage 1 as I've reminded myself that I want to turbo swap her in the next couple years and will likely go sti 6 speed. My closest friend for the past 20 years runs a massive used car dealership so I'm planning to buy a sti that's totaled with rear end damage from the insurance auctions to swap in. That's a story for another time tho. Anyways, I spoke with a buddy of mine who has a small shop that specializes in subies and he said he always uses LUK clutches. Any thoughts on those vs dealer? I have another buddy who is a service writer at a Subaru dealer and hooks me up on parts so I may be able to get OEM cheaper from him than ebay, but that depends on if I go with Subaru parts or LUK. Any input is much appreciated.

-Ryan (Excellent name we share Five, coincidentally my buddy at the subie specialty shop is also Ryan =P)
    '99 Legacy GT Limited
    '05 Impreza 2.5 RS
    '08 Outback XT Limited
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    My only experience with LuK is not very good.
    The pressure plate that we bought in bundle with bearing and friction plate, still had machining marks, because it was not properly finished .

We did not know that was an issue, only after we installed we found out that the clutch was grabing weirdly. It had a very big step when it grabbed. With time it got better, but for the price of LuK we could get Sachs or Exedy....
    Subaru Legacy GL EJ20 (BH, year 2002)

Level
    Achievements:
    Ended up ordering an Exedy KSB04 from rallysportdirect. Was the best price from a reliable source that I could find. The dealer wanted $400 more for the same clutch, and even through a connect at the dealer it still would have been $150 more. I confirmed with Exedy that it is the same oem clutch and does have the double springs. The Exedy oem kit I bought ended up being $174 with the sale they were having. Can't beat that. Amazon had it $7 cheaper but I've gotten enough items that weren't as pictured from there to risk it over such a minor difference.
    '99 Legacy GT Limited
    '05 Impreza 2.5 RS
    '08 Outback XT Limited
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    '69 Pontiac Firebird