Thread: So you've bought youself a JDM twin turbo eh?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New User
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    I picked up a 1997 GTB in New York State about a month ago and have been getting a few things done to it before winter. This is the best information I have been able to find on any forum about our cars.

So far I replaced the primary VF20 turbo, sourced a brand new unit from Compact Motorsports (NZ).
    Installed a urethane pitch stop mount
    Fitted aftermarket 02 WRX wagon suspension while I get the Bilsteins rebuilt
    Will be installing Whiteline bushings all around this weekend
    Will be fitting a GFB T9220 diverter/atmospheric valve also

I do have a couple of questions. My car is an automatic which is meh at best with the VoD. Would doing a MT conversion be beneficial enough just to use the vehicle as a DD? I would be fine doing a “simple” 5spd swap and not searching for crazy power if that will make the crossover from 1 to 2 turbos less pronounced. Otherwise I will probably do a single turbo conversion of some sort along with a 6spd MT swap.

The other is that my car came fitted with the STi front strut brace and an STi badge above the glovebox, does this badge signify any differences about my car? A vin search didn’t tell me anything special other than being a less common spec. The strut brace also only attaches to two of the top mount studs, which I found odd compared to others I have seen photos of.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  C07C80F2-8271-450F-80E5-E22C317F10F0.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  135.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images