Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbbachello's New Money Pit 98 RX Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Barbbachello's New Money Pit 98 RX Wagon

This is a copy and paste from another forum. Enjoy

Im sure everyone's aware by now that ive been very anti wagon in the past. Having since moved out and the need to get cheap shit off gumtree has risen and the need for something capable of transporting more than a packet of cable ties is needed. Youd think thatd mean buying something stock and complete, but thats not how i do things. So enter the $500 slapper RX that was partially stripped to become a race fridge

Its got no brake lines in the front half of the car, no clutch, ABS deleted, battery in the boot and the battery tray removed.

Thank fully it came with a good 25D and a stock loom still in it. Also luckily enough the 25D is an 8 bolt so my 6 speed will go straight in.

Will probably strip the rest of the bay and give it a damn good clean and a fresh paint job in 51E

Most of the body is pretty straight apart from the passenger rear quater which needs some love, and the door which i will swap from my sedan when the time comes.

Couldnt leave these bits behind so of course i took them as well

Also have a set of GTB billies lined up to replace the shit spec stuff to get it rolling

The first stage of the build is to take as much as i can off and clean or paint. This is by no means a quick build. If it sits in the driveway in bits for a year so be it. Then once its clean, tidy and registered with the 25D ill pull it apart again and swap in my turbo goodies and the AM Auto loom from Adams wagon

Level
    Achievements:
    Finally had some time with decent weather and the motivation to lie on the driveway for an afternoon to get stuck in.

The previous owner in prep for a race fridge converted the fuel line bulkhead in the firewall to AN fittings. He wanted some coin for the setup and it was a bit much for my needs to i was left with some cut hardlines. Thankfully there was another mint set in the pile of bits that came with the car. Unfortunately replacing them meant pulling the tank. Seeing as i was replacing the rear crossmember for a GD one a few extra bolts wasnt much extra work.

Filthy upskirt shot

Pesant spec gc8/gen 2 rear subframe

The FWD rear stuff to get the car rolling was gross and went straight into the bin

Tank out and claned up somewhat. This dirt is so ingrained it withstands being hosed off.

Glorious GD subframe with better geometry mounts getting a bath. This frame has clearly copped a few busted CV boots as theres patches of dirt/greasy mess that withstands a wire brush. Will take it to the car wash and blast the shit out of it

Also gave the filler neck a lick of black paint.

Thats it for now. Ill be replacing the rubber lines on top of the tank with new E85 safe stuff cos why not.

Level
    Achievements:
    More tings happened this past weekend

Finally dont have to pay rent for 2 properties as well as cashing in my insurance for the sedan and selling the 5 speed left me with some coin to play with. Bought myself a gurni, all new bolts for everything in the rear end and some more jack stands etc.

The underside of the car had a coating of dirt that youd expect from a 20 year old car

So saturday arvo i got under and cleaned it

Was a miserable job and I came out looking like a coal miner. But now you can touch anything under the car without getting crap on your hands. It looks dirty still but thats just the colour of the oem rubber stuff i guess. I then turned my attention to the wheel wells. After a through hosing they came out good but still messy. Either the black coating comes off or the paint over the coating comes off.

Either way i wanted black to hide dirt and other crud. So some thick coats of more rubber deadener went on

Minty fresh.

Cleaned the fuel tank up more with the gerni and got it pretty good. The dirt thats there is so engrained into the rubber it survives a pressure washer 1" away. Nuts. Also finally got my hands on some Gates Barricade hose at $20 a meter

Had some spare time after replacing the rear struts in my missos car to chon the fuel tank back in. So I did

Poo photo but whatever. Obviously its hard to clean the underside of the tank when its out so thatll get done before the subframe goes in. Might give it another coat of black rubber stuff as well seeing as some got scraped off in the act of removing it.

- - - Updated - - -

No stuff happened this weekend due to family events :\. But a big box of all brand new hardware arrived.

All the bolts, nuts and washers i could get my hands on for the suspenion arms and mounts as well as fresh caps for the front lateral link bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts going onto the car for the first time in a while.

GD subframe with oem metal bushes. The GD subframe mounts the control arms lower so you get better roll centres. Same principle as the bump steer kits in the front.
    GD 2 pot hubs
    GD Pink STI control arms. 10mm wider track and pillow ball bushes.

OEM billies for RWC purposes

Hardrace swaybar links and mounts as the GD arms use a box endlink but the STi one breaks easily with anything other than stock bars. The pair that came with the arms was already broken lol

I had some left over high heat paint so gave the muffler heat shield a coating

Also sold my VF23 and picked up this bicc boi thanks to Wob

APS SR56 which is a GT3076 in subaru housings. The rear housing is huge at 0.94 so will swap it out for a mamba .63 or similar to help it spool this century.

After briefly installing my coilovers from the sedan to remove the 20cm of droop to get my swaybar endlinks connected, swapping over my trailing arm mounts to GD ones to match the subframe and installing new 04+ GD reinforced sway bar mounts; the suspension is done in the rear

It was only after id put the wheels on and gave them a push that i found one of the wheel bearings is shot :dash2:. So off the car they come again. On the bright side fresh bearings and a stiffer bush in the lower trailing arm wont hurt. Can give the hub and dust shield a nice lick of paint too.

Advans fit noice with the 10mm of wider track

Going along with my theme of buying stuff i wont use for 1 year ive picked up some ID1000 injectors to match the turbski and last night at 11:30 won an 05 2.2 turn quick rack for $96 on yahoo :yahoo: .They do fit a the early turbo crossmembers but I need one anyone as i dont want to pinch the one from my sedan as that stops it rolling and the wagon came with an NA member that i cant be assed installing into the sedan tbh so may as well get an 05+ STi crossmember. Was going to rebush the control arm so getting GD bushes solves that issue as well.

Mad

Level
    Achievements:
    Been a while since i did an update. Mainly cos not much has happened. About time i put some money into our now single car, my old gx, that dearly needs a timing belt and a major service. Still managed to spend money on more bits lel.

My bicc turbo arrived with Wob when he came down for a track day and to fix bumptys GTB.

It fits, it might not fit when it has a 4" inlet comp cover lel but thats an issue for later.

Picked up a manual outhouse slapper for the loom, interior trims and flywheel for the GX

Sold my 4/2 pots and have a set of Brembos on hold with a mate. No pics yet

And last night i bought these bad bois

Rays Gramlights 57S 17x7.5 +40. Im 99% sure theyll clear brembos (someone on oz foz has a set that do). They wont be staying gold but. As 40 offset is a bit spicey ill be binning the widtrack idea and the plan is to get some hardrace arms instead.

Also had my hubs and backing plates powder coated while they were apart for wheel bearings, which arrived yesterday.

Level
    Achievements:
    Been all quiet on the western front again. Ordered some hardrace arms to replace the STi ones and hubs should be back during the week for install on the weekend. In the mean time i got stuck into stripping the outhouse. Got myself some bicc tubs and started pulling off the trims, clips, screws etc that id need to get the wagon back together. I didnt get as much as id like given that the car was a farm car so anything on the divers side at foot level was forked, as was the boot floor. But the wiring and upper trims is all good. Pulled the entire rear harness out as it has a ciggie lighter in the rear.

6oqmxXE.jpg

Got a nice box of trims and foam stuff

And a good throw away pile

Got stuck into getting the dash out yesterday which was fun with no interior to protect me from sharp sheet metal -_- but this isnt the first time ive done it so 45 mins later it was out

Heck of a lot easier to get to everything with the dash beam gone and theres less back there than i thought

Got the AC box out, which needs a hekkkin good clean and then downed tools for the day.

Couldnt forget the obligatory dash beam RPG photo

Awfully tempted to get it powder coated :scratch_one-s_head:

- - - Updated - - -

Time for another updoot. Had a mate press in some fresh bearings and assemble my hubs. Put some poly trailing arm bushes in and got back under the car for the 50th time to assemble the rear end with the Hardrace arms

The powder coat obviously reduced the ID of the bore for the bush so had to sand it down a bit to get them in. Theyd slowly push themselves back out so had to bolt them arm on to the hub on the bench.

About 20 mins later.

Ready to roll again to move to the new house. Working out a time to collect my brembos, a colour to get them powder coated and then ill order rotors and pads, assemble the hand brake do final assembly of the rear end

Level
    Achievements:
    Busy weekend was busy. Had some mates around to help my relocate my cars and the heavy/bulk stuff in the shed

Plenty of room for activities

Goodies hiding down the back for 2050

Picked up my brownbos. They were clearly cooked on the track but have been rebuilt. Thinking of going gloss red powder coat for the classic brembo feels. Ive never handled a front caliper. These things are massive!

Got stuck under the car to tighten all the rear arms as being rubber they need to be tightened with load on them cos of reasons. As i was heading out of the garage i opened the bonnet for a sticky beak and thought "why the hell not". So out came the 25D. Popped the timing covers off and its all reasonably clean and fresh in there and it turns over alright.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/a7WEuvA.jpg

Then i got stuck into tearing the front end apart. Im not using 1 single piece of it so left it all assembled and dropped it all out in chunks

And finally stripped the engine bay aside from the loom and heater core which i need inside access to do. Cars still full of bits from moving and stripping the outback

mad

Level
    Achievements:
    Update time again.

Put the carpet back into the dye bin for longer this time. Left it for a week and shook it up every night after work to make sure it didnt crease up.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/DwNTD6t.jpg/img]
    Much better this time. Nice and black with no missed spots

To match the carpet i pulled out the headliner and all the extra stuff on the roof and also gave them a coat of black. Fabric paint on the liner and mirrors. Then flat black on the handles and lights. If the handles and stuff wear poorly ill see how well gen 3 S-Edition stuff fits. Love the result but
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/QNfqzFC.jpg/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PjQAIXG.jpg/img]

Also got the rear harness back in the car
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/pAyJPI9.jpg/img]

And cleaned and installed the boot trims. After i'd installed all the trims i found the pile of underlay stuff that meant to go behind the trims lol. So out it all came again and installed with the underlay stuff
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/xxOvTAq.jpg/img]

Ive pretty much run out of bits i can install for now until i get some replacement sound deadening for the floors. Probs going to run the jaycar combined butyl/foam stuff. That wont be till november ish as October is busy af

- - - Updated - - -

Made some great progress over the long weekend. Made the trip to the wreckers on friday to get the rest of the upper trims. Unfortunately the only wagon they had had at some point had a baby seat in it so the trims had some holes and an extra bracket, but its better than nothing and ill keep an eye out for minty ones in the future

Also bought some Jaycar combined Butly/foam sound deadening sheets to redo the floor

With the deadening down i can finally put the airbag wiring and piping the rear vents down and then put the carpet back in. Super happy with the black

To wrap up the weekend i put the passenger seat in and had a beer while making car noises

Level
    Achievements:
    Remember how i mentioned finding the optional long discontinued 3" inlet made by APS for my turbo? Well i found one. A new one in the US. What were the odds

I then found out i should really get the car as a roller as i have a property inspection coming up and a car on jack stands isnt a good look. So the first thing i did was re-blacken the front guards. Cos thats important

I then picked up a set of GC8 alloy control arms.

They'd been painted black by someone in japan so got stuck in with the metho and scourers

Ill probably get them sand blasted in the future.

I needed an 05+ GD wrx crossmember to suit my quick rack, so i got one for $80 and gave it a coat of gloss black

Once i had that all sorted I ordered a superpro bump steer kit and their anti lift kit. As well as all new bolts cos thats how i roll now. Got stuck in last weekend putting it all together

And now i have a billy cart

I also picked up another twist mount up pipe. This one has a T3 flange and an old school 4 bolt gate flange. Will probably sit on the shelf but id like to test fit it at some stage cos it looks like a long boi

Thats about it for now. Next job is painting the engine bay finally.

- - - Updated - - -

This last weekend was probably my last free one until nearly christmas so was motivated to get something big done. My girlfriend also felt like procrastinating her exam study so we got stuck into sanding the engine bay in preparation for primer!

Came out nice and smooth.

On sunday i went to SCA and picked up 5 (too many) cans of primer surfacer and sealed up the shed and started spraying

I was going to do the job with a gun but its another $100 worth of bits to get it ready and the Colour Match stuff from SCA doesn't come in a tin and id like to keep it within the same paint brand.

Also had an unexpected 3pm Saturday delivery from the US. My compressor cover finally arrived. It came in the original APS box from probably 10-15 years ago. Love NOS. Thankfully it is the exact same dimensions as the stock inlet so fits up perfectly. Looks so much more aggressive and like a much larger turbo with the big inlet. I love it

- - - Updated - - -

Well its been a while since i did anything as ive been overseas for work. Had a few days off since getting back and what better way to keep busy and fight jet lag than finish the paint job.

3 coats of Base coat

then 4 thick coats of "2K" clear from a can

Im stoked with the results.

First thing i did was put the wiper cowl back in so i could use it as a tool shelf instead of my nice new paint lel

With that finally done the project has been blown wide open so to speak. Ive got 90% of the bits needed to put it back together. Just need to get some brake lines
    Last edited by Barbbachello; 06-20-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Oh boi its been a busy weekend. Got up bright and early on saturday and stuck the airbag and wiring looms in! Made sure to use every bracket and clip

Plugged the fuse box in and mounted it. Remote coolant overflow with quick action spray trigger for fast headgasket pressure relief

Now that the loom was in the HVAC boxes could go in, but only after a MASSIVE clean up. They were filthy.

Fan box had a coat of dust and the actual fan itself was black

AC Box had a layer of dirt as well

and the core itself was forked

After a good clean it came out good

I would have liked to really clean all the fins out but couldnt see a way to blast the crud out without smashing the fins. So itll have to do.

The heater box took some concentration to put all the levers and doors in the right spot so no pics of that one. Much of the same story but

Got them all in. They go in much easier when you put them in in the right order. Unlike trying to take the heater box out without having the AC out etc.

Then after pulling the dash out of my sedan for 10cm of patch loom for the recirc actuator id left in the outback parts car -_- i put the dash beam in

So that was my weekend. Super happy to be making big progress

Level
    Achievements:
    Been a while since i did an update for here, so here we go

After stripping another 2 sets of brake lines at the wreckers i started looking at other models that might fit as id run out of gen 2s to pull from. Luckly the GC parts bin continues as i finally managed to get some lines out of a car. Can only assume the car having 200k instead of 400k and not having to dig the fittings out first was the secret. So

1" Master Cylinder
    Non abs proper valve
    Non abs brake lines

oh and the clutch master with GC8 hardline that goes directly to the slave instead of up into the strut tower. The engine bay is pretty close to complete now as anything else i add will need to come out for the engine to go in.

Next job was getting the rear diff and outrigger in. I picked some Kartboy outrigger bushes for cheap off facebook. (opted for the comfort version rather than virbrating my spine loose)

Dug out the outrigger and brakets. Was nice and dirty

Quick rattle can refurb has it looking nice again

New hardware of course

Was a pain in the bum to do by myself but got it in eventually

With that sorted I dug out the diff for a similar treatment. Painted the bearing retainers and rear cover a fresh alloy silver. Had to do one retainer at a time so as to not get them mixed up as they affect preload or something like that

New axle seals, orings and a group n moustache bar

Doneskies

and installed

Now with the rear end all done and waiting for money to get new gearbox sensors/wheel bearings etc i can only really do interior stuff for now. So i stuck the dash back in!

Decided to reloom it with a stock loom from another dash i had in stock as my sedan dash loom had been spliced into 1 too many times for my liking

I also ran a large 4 Gauge wire into behind the radio area where i will run a proper fused distribution block for a sub/amp/gauges rather than tapping into various dash wires.

- - - Updated - - -

Another large milestone for the car is done. The 6 speed is in!

My brothers came around yesterday and gave me a hand refreshing the crossmember and hoisting it into the car. Was a pretty smooth process with 3 people and 2 jacks. One jack under the front drain plug and another under the crossmember to get it into the tunnel, then someone lifts the bellhousing onto the crossmember while you roll the box forward and up to line up the mounts with the body. Thankfully none of the bolts stripped or snapped any captive nuts. All went in perfect.

I also replaced both the reverse and neutral switches as theyre basically impossible to do in the car and the gen 4 neutral switch reads opposite to the early ecus which makes them act funny. I decided against changing the front axle seals and o-rings as they werent leaking and i didnt really feel like dealing with the sun dials. But ive got everything on hand if they do leak in the future and its doable in the car.

Box went in with the following goodies

GDB Crossmember
    GDB Group N mount
    Whiteline crossmember bushes
    HEL braided clutch line

It was then my fun job of putting the shifter in. I really should have had it on the box when it went in but oh well. After fiddling trying to get a bolt into the uni joint over the top of the centre diff housing i found the head of the bolt didnt fit past a casting. After a few good swear words i found a smaller headed botl and if i put the box into 2nd the fork would angle up and i could slip the bolt in. Winner. The rest was easy. Even the Kartboy rear stay which usually dont fit nice in a gen 2 fit like a bought one.

The underbody coating i applied to the tunnel however gets a bit sticky and soft in 35 degree heat so i came out with my arms covered in basically tar but I shouldnt have to go back in there lol.

Included goodies on the shifter:

Kartboy/Cobb bushes in the joints
    Kartboy rear stay
    Billetworkz reverse lockout
    OEM STi knob

Of course i sat in the car making noises and snapping second. Its a legal requirement. Shifter feels awesome with all the harder bushes. Inb4 it rattles my brains loose

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassO.G.5000 Experience Points
    Race fridge has made it SL-I...

1999 Legacy GT Wagon 5SPD (Stella)" Race Wagon"
    V7 STI Drivetrain, STI 6MT, R180, Brembos, JDM EJ205 "Big port AVCS", Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, a lot of JDM Parts and much much more...
    2006 Legacy 2.5i Wagon A/T SWP SE "Slow Wagon" 20% Tint, JDM Tails, JDM Rear Fog, GT Leather
    1997 Legacy GT Wagon
    1998 Legacy L Wagon
    @TylerHartman on Instagram
    http://www.facebook.com/hartman.tyler
    Thanks Tyler

Level
    Achievements:
    the real nuts havent even been posted yet

Level
    Achievements:
    Supercheap Auto sale and $34 credit means it was time to paint the brembos, or at least the fronts.

For reference they looked like this when i got them

Had clearly been absolutely cooked on the track. The pads i found in them were also some pretty serious ceramic pads. But they'd been rebuilt so no issues.

Gave the face and top a hit with 120 grit to knock back all the crap and get the logos off. Then the rest with 240 grit and the faces again. Just to get them scuffed for paint

Opted for gloss red with high temp clear over the top

The paint can said to cure at 200c for an hour. I wasnt keen on that with the dust boots and things in place and didnt want to take the calipers apart so i opted for a lower 120 for an hour.

Didnt melt anything and it seemed to dry them up pretty good

- - - Updated - - -

Few things been cooking since last weekend.

Decals arrived for the calipers.

Bushes arrived for control arms, front swaybar and steering rack. Went with whiteline for the swaybar as they have a fancy liner which means no grease

Got my box of bits back from the powder coater :wub:

Drilled and sawzalled the inner bushes from the control arms (***** of a job) and gave them a fresh alloy paint job

Should in theory be able to have the front suspension mostly together tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Not much happening in the way of installing as im waiting to buy wheel bearings, which are quite expensive. However some purchases from a long time ago finally arrived and boy are they good.

Syms front bumper

Blacked out projectors with halos

Looks forking awesome imo

I also picked up Aarons old top feed rail kit however they dont fit a 3/4 mani like i assumed. They bolt up but everything is binding and cocked so would leak under pressure. The manufacturer does sell a 1/2 and 3/4 kit so clearly are different. No loss. Already sold them to a local RS guy. They did look good briefly but
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/rdE73g9.jpg[/img

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing major to report just a few bits and pieces arriving. Still waiting to order wheel bearings as life and stuff keeps getting in the way of cash and buying other parts lel.

Managed to finally get a matching carbon vent to finish off the rest of my set

Not so matchy with flash but its close in natural light

Had my intake manifold done in Cadillac Grey. Hotboi af

and finally a S1 reo and projector fogs for the bumper. Quick hit of rattle can black and bolted on

- - - Updated - - -

Mainly so they could fill interiors with crap woodgrain

Did a few more odd jobs this weekend. Finally got some fixed length lateral links

Reassembled the alternator

Pinched some air vent whoopy doos from a gen4 with an underseat amp thing to go around future audio equipment

Then pushed the car out for the first time in 4 months for a bath

After a good wash i plucked up the courage to pull the white side moulding from my sedan. Managed to get it off without ruining it and stuck it on. Probably need to redo it with some better tape as it pulls away in some spots over time

- - - Updated - - -

Still no major work being done. Had a ripper trip through the Alps with some of the OGs last weekend however. In the meantime i picked up a cast alloy filler neck from the very early Legacy GTs.

And cos im a sucker for old school turbos. A HKS GT2835R. This is basically a Blouch 1.5 made by HKS 15 years earlier. Also known as a GT3071 WG or nowadays a GT2971R. It uses a GT30 turbine, 56.5mm exducer instead of the full 60mm of the GT30.

Despite being large physically than the APS its a good bit smaller. Should be a bit more punchy but have that old school drama and noise about it too

Not 100% sure if itll fit with the T04E size housing as i need to get a subaru turbine housing for it to know for sure. But at least being a proper GT 6 blade wheel i can get off the shelf garrett housings easy

- - - Updated - - -

Did some fiddling with a spare subaru flanged turbine housing and clocked the compressor housing

it "fits" just. Will probably need to give everything some love with a flap disc for sanity sake

- - - Updated - - -

Had my valve covers coated the same colour as the intake manifold for maximum hotboi points

and had a friend 3D print some rear speaker adapters

some other stuff happened but i dont have any pics yet so youll have to wait

- - - Updated - - -

Bought an underseat sub from SCA during their easter sale. Fits like a glove between the heater spacer dealies. I forgot to get a pic without the seat over it however lel. Ran the wiring under the carpet and into the console. Kept the signal and power wires separated as i think thats a thing

ive since trimmed the carpet to allow some more slack in the wiring

Cant tell its there with the seat in a normal spot

Also traded some parts for a 5 piece set of JDM floor mats

- - - Updated - - -

Few things got did over the easter long weekend

Got my hands on some rear tweeter pillar trims and oem tweeters

And finally got a complete boot floor setup. Its from a Rev A Legacy GT we parted out (auto and uncompiled so nothing lost). So finally have a complete and finished cargo area

Ordered head gaskets, valve cover seals, spark plug seals and washer seals. Head Bolts were out of stock and the suggested replacement part was a SOHC bolt (theyre different). Thanks partsouq. With those on order i got stuck into tearing down the 25D. Bit of a throw back to my old sedan build lel

This engine clearly hasnt had much love.

Gave it a quick clean up

Thankfully theres no rusty or pitted bores just carbon'd pistons. Some UEC, 98 and RPM will sort it out.

These organiser tubs are super handy for storing the cam bits nice and organised

Hopefully dropping the heads off for a clean up/deck this week. If all goes well perhaps reassembly next weekend

- - - Updated - - -

With another long weekend up my sleeve a few more things got did. Dropped the heads off to get skimmed, cleaned, hardness and crack checked.

Finally got my hands on some new wheel bearings so installed them with the powder coated dust shields and new Febest swaybar links. Looking minty. Once i replace the steering rack inners and boots the front end should be done suspension wise.

Backing plate was backwards and ive since swapped it round

Cleaned up a set of guard liners from the legacy we parted out. Made sure to use all the mounting tabs and screws. Replaced the stupid plastic scrivet things for much more user friendly christmas tree trim clips

Brand new battery loom was $20 on partsouq so why not

Finally wired in and installed the new speakers and tactically dyanmat'd all the doors

Gave my door cards a wipe down and put them on as well as the mirrors from my sedan. I do have a set of power folding mirrors but they are very floppy and have poor paint so for the time being some clean stock ones will do the job

Got more stuck into the interior and installed the drivers seat and STi pedal covers. Excuse the mess

After poking my head around under the passenger side of the dash trying to figure out how the airbag bolts to the beam i realised my nicely painted dash beam was missing some brackets that bolt to more brackets that bolt to the airbag

Either id installed a non airbag dash beam or the previous owner had removed the mounts for race car. Either way the dash had to come out and the beam had to be swapped. Several good swear words later and 2 hours and I had the dash back in and the airbag bolted nicely to the beam. I didnt paint this one as in the back of my mind was hesitant about the dash grounds working properly through a painted beam so it was probably going to happen at some point anyway. Just not on those terms lol

- - - Updated - - -

Time for more engine content.

Got my heads back from the machine shop. Bit more involved that what i was hoping but theyre micky mouse now. Ended up having to have the valves reseated as some were leaking by 60%, so stem seals were done at the same time. Decked cleaned and tested for everything else.

Had an early finish to have my house inspected again so got the heads back on when that was done. Few throw back feels to doing this in my parents driveway :sarcastic:

Photos dont do the powder coat colour any justice

Stuck the 25D mani on to keep stuff out of the ports

- - - Updated - - -

Pinched some inner timing covers from my 20K. Will get all new ones when i do the turbo build. Also found 2 new genuine cam seals, 2 MLS header gaskets and a genuine up pipe gasket in my tool box. Can only assume from when i did my conversion. Thanks past me.

Can see the weird 25D turbo less up pipe here too

Just need 2 more cam seals, a crank seal, water pump and timing belt and it can go in the car really

- - - Updated - - -

More pointless cash hate arrived last night. Rare(ish?) at least discontinued HKS 6 speed shift knob. I think these were made as a D1 promo around 10 years ago from what i can tell

- - - Updated - - -

Got my hands on the fancy variable runner length 20D manifold

given it has 8 runners it weighs a tonne and is a 3 piece jobby. Uses vacuum stored in a smol aids tank to open an extra set of butterfly valves inside the manifold for max Vtak noises. Originally i thought it ran entirely off vacuum with no ecu control. Then found this little solenoid that exposes the actuator to vacuum. Given the 25D ecu has no provisions for this the plan is to get a cheap ebay adjustable shift light. Remove the ricey light and rewire it to run the solenoid and open it at whatever RPM seems good. If i can get some dyno runs I can run it open and closed for the whole run and find the best changeover point

Made sure it fits with the turbo power steering pump and 25D coolant pipe, which it does.

Then pulled it apart and painted it wrinkle black lol

- - - Updated - - -

Still no installs only order and hoard.

Wallet had a bad time during click frenzy and I ordered everything for my brakes and some engine bits

DBA T2 front and rear rotors
    DBA SP Pads for the front and im going to reuse the bendix that were in the 2 pots as they're basically still new
    Goodridge Braided brake lines
    Gates timing belt and water pump

Brembo rotors are bicc bois

Picked up my calipers from the powder coater

Went to rebuild the fronts that afternoon. The seals i pulled out of the calipers were brand new, so had planned to reuse them. Pistons wont go in without a bullshit amount of force. Too much force. Tried the brand new febest seals with the same result. Seems to be a common thing with aftermarket seals. Theyre just a hair too tight and nothing goes together as it should. Even if you could get them in i cant imagine the pistons moving smoothly and getting stuck out.

So went inside and ordered a OEM brembo set from CMA would should arrive tomorrow. I already had an oem set for the 2 pots on the way as well.

- - - Updated - - -

So uhhhh, this happened

and this

A turbo engine wasnt even remotely on my radar as something to buy but bargains are bargains

V7 207 short
    ARP head studs

Killer B baffle, pickup and sump

All 5 mins from my house and about 75% off the retail cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Reasonably productive weekend was had.

Had a partsouq delivery arrive with some gaskets for the breathers and thermostat etc etc. So finally got to install my billet AN breather caps my partner got me for my birthday. New bolts cos you know me

Bought some new tools after finding only 1 phillips head screwdriver in my set that used to have like 4.

Rebuilt the 2 pots with genuine seals. Everything fits together so nicely with oem seals. Yes i noticed the pins were backwards after this photo

And finally found the motivation to deal with the hand brake. Which was promptly lost. Easily my least favourite job on the car. Still have one side left to do as well

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Money pit seems accurate. This is going to be amazing when its done.

Level
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    I love the term "racing fridge"
    Legacys are like potato chips-You can't stop at just one!

Level
    Achievements:

Level
    Achievements:
    Update time!

After getting the brakes on i went back to doing engine things.

Did battle with the timing belt a few times before cracking the shits and ordering the Company23 tool to hold the cams. The tool is handy but its not a life changing tool. The cams still can move if you tug the belt enough but i got there in the end

With the belt on i pulled it off the stand and onto a tyre to do the rear main and seperator plate. I bought an impact screw driver to remove the plate screws but to my disbelief i could get them loose with a normal screw driver. Never seen that before. I re-used the plastic one cos i didnt have a spare metal one and she'll be right. Made sure to get the perfect oem squish on the sealant. I then promptly fucked up the rear main seal by putting it in too far so went and ordered 3 more and stuff i needed to rebuild my the quick rack and power steering pump lel

Also ordered a new lightweight crank pulley seeing as i was going to be waiting for the seals to arrive i could wait for a pulley. New bolt of course

When the seal arrived the following week i popped it in without fucking it up and put on the machined flywheel with new spigot and the old clutch that came with it. Its got enough life left in it to deal with a 25D. New flywheel and clutch cover bolts naturally

And then with some fussing and groaning; got it in the hole. Big milestone achieved

Also somewhere in there we got a new fridge for the house so now have a shed fridge

Level
    Achievements:
    Given the battery tray had been removed the seams had been exposed. So i spilt some toothpaste in them

Sikaflex oem seam sealer stuff in white. Matches gouda enough with a battery over it and shite youll never know. I ended up also doing the small bit up onto the tower as well

Few annual tax refund car part stimulus package parts arrived too. GD STi red stitched handbrake lever

6 speed starter

Level
    Achievements:
    Installed the GD handbrake. Direct fit into a gen 2 thankfully

Alacantara shiftboot enroute from RedLineGoods as well

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Wow. This thread looks like an absolute journey. It'll take me a while to look through all these pics but looks like you are doing this right!
    2010 Red Impreza 2.5i hatchback - SOLD
    (Still driving a Subaru now, though)

Level
    Achievements:
    Had far too busy of a weekend to get much done but heres an updoot.

Borrowed a mates inner tie rod removal tool as whoever changed them last on my quick rack tightented the fuck out of them. Smashed my funny bone so hard when it finally let go that my whole arm went numb for a few minutues. Good times. Steering should be super tight at least

Picked up another load of bits from powder coating. Mostly stuff for Joss and my swaybars but a few naughty items snuck through

Thermostat housing cos why not

And i pulled the tailgate latch from a parts car that was minty oem fresh and accidentally left it in the box to get coated soooo

Not even mad really.

​Also lashed out on a nice new android auto headunit that ill post more about when i get to installing it.

Level
    Achievements:
    Another tax time sale delivery arrived. Lines and fittings for my AOS setup

Also picked up Joss' old PS setup seeing as hes going to a GD remote setup. My attempt at resealing a pump resulted in it not spinning so opted for his already leak free one and just swapped my top tank over with the external seals

Good thing i had it all coated so it can be covered up 🤔

Level
    Achievements:
    Something different this weekend. No deliveries lel.

After dragging my feet on any wiring i finally found the motivation to wire in the distribution block under the dash

Wired up the under seat sub to it, hence the yellow wire.

With that organised i wired in the extra bits for the new headunit. Remote wire, earth for the handbrake and ran the various usb cables for phones. Then shit myself trimming the surround as these carbon dipped ones dont grow on trees. Thanks to subaru for making the opening not quite double din :dash2:

Cant test it or any of my wiring as I dont have a battery lol.

Spent $17 at bunnings on various sized bolts and nuts to fit the STi accelerator pedal cover. M3x50 fits perfect btw. I have straightened the clutch too before anyone mentions it

With that gubbins done i got back into the engine bay to get the power steering sorted. The 3/4 WRX lines fit for the most part. High pressure line fits perfectly. Low pressure needed an angle change. Threaded the lines in and pulled them to bend them into shape. Fits perfect now lel

Level
    Achievements:
    Pinched the battery from the GX last night and powered up the wagon! Little false start when none of the audio or lights came on but quickly found 2 missing fuses. Popped some spares in and all working like a charm.

​The best thing however, is this

Level
    Achievements:
    Back to our regular scheduled programming of parts arriving. Hardrace hardened rubber pitch stopper.

Would prefer if it wasnt blue but i dont hate it as much as i thought i would. Hopefully its not too bad NVH wise being still rubber.

Now i had planned on running the variable length 20D manifold however the 25D cable doesnt physically fit in the bracket and i cant realllly be bothered converting to COP for an NA application. So going back to the 25D factory setup. Which is now bolted down and plugged in.

Managed to score a set of 25D NGK leads at the wreckers for $10 instead of the $100 for new. Turbo leads are long and look silly.

Also finished wiring in the distribution box. Added a 60amp fuse mounted off an existing threaded hole in the chassis rail. Kinda see it on the bottom right

And a 10mm ring terminal on the other side for the battery connection

And with the manifold in place I can get started on the breather lines

Pretty simple to assemble the pushlok hoses even with your hands.

Getting there

Level
    Achievements:
    The cycle continues

>Get parts back from powder coating
    >install parts

Fan and radiator shrouds and the radiator brackets done in satin black

Alternator and PS pulleys done in cadilac grey

Also mounted the PS cooler with a rivnut

Had my cusco strut brace ends coated grey as well.

And gave the brace a quick polish

Also picked up a HKS Billet oil cap for the efame. Matches the shift knob

Level
    Achievements:
    Buying more things i didnt need instead of buying things i do need?

Yes.

HKS 3037S Pro. Proper 3076 with a fancy badge and a spicy insert that hopefully makes T51R noises. Came with the supposedly excellent HKS Pro turbine housing that ill defs be shelving for later

Swapped the housing over to my spare GT30 subaru housing and stuck it on

I sold the APS the majority of the cost to get this lol

Level
    Achievements:
    Not much been did. Sorted all the clips on the brake lines so they hold to the struts and body etc. No pics cos meh.

Bought a new fuel fitler and connected the fuel lines. Got confused at first and have since fixed the plumbing so the feed is actually the feed from the body lmao

Stock heatshield fits the 3037 lol

and my redline goods shift boot i ordered in july finally arrived from Poland lol

Flash makes it look purple but is actually black. Only issue is the clasp for the reverse lockout doesnt fit tight enough so will get the misso to adjust it

Level
    Achievements:
    Long time no update.

Been dragging my feet doing small odd jobs and chasing issues. Small collection of bits for various things.

Was nice to be able to get this PCV to crank breather hose new still

I swapped the DW200 from my sedan into the wagon tank and thats were the issues started. With the pump swapped in i went to run the fuel system for the first time. No fuel at the rail filter or anywhere in the engine bay... had fuel at the pump housing and under the car. So the issue lies with the hardline[s] in the car. The feed line is either blocked or kinked up behind the dash and the HVAC boxes. I REALLY dont want to pull them all out AGAIN so ive run seperate rubber line under the car next to the tailshaft for the time being. When the loom comes out for the turbo conversion the lines will be easily accessible and ill fix them then.

With that sorted i filled the gearbox with some Penrite Progear; which went well

Front cvs are now in the car lel

Ordered the last few fittings for the breather setup

Got around to getting a 6 speed starter, 22E intake pipe, brake booster to manifold hose and a battery

The engine is ready to run, but it doesnt. Cranks over good, sounds like it has compression but no start. Doesnt even try. Am getting spark at the coil but will test it further down the lead later. Injectors are doing something as i can smell fuel as its currently straight out of the header. ECU has power as im getting the CEL but no codes annoyingly. MAF/TPS/Injectors all have voltage. Havent tested the injector pulse as i need a helper to crank it. Also cleaned up the grounds to no change.

In other news i was able to pick up the S1 GT bar from the legacy we parted out ages ago now that we have a wagon as the misso's daily after she unfortunately had an accident and wrote of my old GX. Rip in peace. Chucked it on for keks

Also managed to sauce a very spicy HKS custom housing for the 3037 instead of the garrett with a tag.

Also have a BG specific HKS super dragger muffler on the Import Monster boat and a set of oem black gen 3 sun visors that should arrive tomorrow

Level
    Achievements:
    After some more poking around while my wonderful girlfriend cranked the car it now runs! It sounds like absolute rubbish cos its straight out of the header and is likely not happy with no NPS or some other code but it works

Not 100% sure what the problem was but after smacking the injectors with a screw driver it started coughing so gonna assume stuck injectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast