Thread: Need advice - 2.0R suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need advice - 2.0R suspension

Hi all

I have bought a 2005 2.0R Legacy Wagon which has done approx 140k miles. The suspension is stock and can do with an overhaul, but am not sure what to go for.

Important:

- I can not use saggy but spacers (illegal in Belgium)
    - I don't want to use non-OEM lowering springs (no illegal, just a lot of hassle)

So, these were the options I'm considering:

- Bilstein B6 with OEM springs on all 4 corners
    - Bilstein B8 up front and B6 in the rear with OEM springs on all 4 corners
    - Bilstein B6 up front with Spec B springs and B6 in the rear with OEM (non spec B ) springs
    - Bilstein B8 up front with Spec B springs and B6 in the rear with OEM (non spec B ) springs

Other options with OEM springs (or KYB springs) and Bilstein or KYB shocks are possible.

Thanks

Thomas

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Bilstein B8s are designed for use with lowering springs. I would say B6 with Spec B springs all around.

Quote Originally Posted by 98legwag View Post
    Bilstein B8s are designed for use with lowering springs. I would say B6 with Spec B springs all around.
    Thanks for the input. I just fear that the weight difference from the 3.0 spec B compared to a 2.0R will cause the front to sit way to high...

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    B6's with oe springs would be a good option too. Especially if you could track down a set of new oe springs.

Quote Originally Posted by 98legwag View Post
    B6's with oe springs would be a good option too. Especially if you could track down a set of new oe springs.
    KYB should be direct OE replacement and I was comparing some different options. I noticed that the EUDM 2.5i and 2.0R have the same weight (approx 1360 - 1390 kg). The rear springs have the same part number from KYB, but the fronts are different. This is what I found:

2.0R 288mm lenght / 168mm OS diameter / wire thickness 13,25mm

2.5i 277mm in lenght / 171mm OS diameter / wire thickness 13,75

Due to a thicker spring, the 2.5i-spring should be stiffer/harder, but why is it shorter? Heck, why is not just the same as the 2.0R spring. I'm considering trying the shorter spring, hoping it would drop the car a tiny bit and make the ride more firm... But I know the stiffer spring can cause the car sitting higher than before.