Thread: Legacy Touring 2.0R

Legacy Touring 2.0R

Hi all

After my misadventure with a 4th gen Diesel, I owed a few non-Subaru cars, but the Subaru-bug wouldn't let me go. The Outback H6 I still own performs well and always brings me and my family safely and quickly to our destination, but I was missing a 'fun-car'. So, the hunt for something else quickly brought me back to my beloved brand and as of yesterday, my Outback stands alongside a Gen 4 pre-facelift Legacy 2.0R. It has the 165BHP N/A engine with DOHC and was only available for EUDM, JDM and AUDM markets if I'm not mistaken.

The shell and interior are a bit rough, but nothing to serious. The car just needs some body-work and a few interior panels replaced to be top-notch once more.

The car is started life as a demo for a large Subaru-dealer and had decent spec compared to other 2.0R and 2.5i that I've seen. Leather, sat-nav and a sun roof were 'normal' and H6's, but are a rare sight on these, so I'm happy.

Name:  DSCN8228.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  DSCN8229.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  226.3 KB

Name:  DSCN8232.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  196.2 KB
    Last edited by *thomas*; 08-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Car passed it's tech inspection today. Had to repair the exhaust in order to have it leakfree, but it's very corroded, so will replace anyway.

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassO.G.5000 Experience Points
    Love it! RBP is such a good color
    1999 Legacy GT Wagon 5SPD (Stella)" Race Wagon"
    V7 STI Drivetrain, STI 6MT, R180, Brembos, JDM EJ205 "Big port AVCS", Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, a lot of JDM Parts and much much more...
    2006 Legacy 2.5i Wagon A/T SWP SE "Slow Wagon" 20% Tint, JDM Tails, JDM Rear Fog, GT Leather
    1997 Legacy GT Wagon
    1998 Legacy L Wagon
    @TylerHartman on Instagram
    http://www.facebook.com/hartman.tyler
    Thanks Tyler

After I'd finished a list of chores around the house, I got into the car's interior. The seats were filthy and sticky, but in good condition. Stripped them from the car, gave them a torough wash and treated them afterwards with some leather reconditioner.

Car has been smoked in, so will remove center console tomorrow install my O3 generator to help get rid off the smell.

Name:  DSCN8237.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  DSCN8238.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  DSCN8239.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  DSCN8241.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  DSCN8240.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  205.3 KB

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Oof! Love that front seat!!
    - Eric
    '98 GT 5MT Radio Flyer Wagon, with a JDM EJ205 w/AVCS sitting on the floor of the garage next to it.

So, the car passed it's tech inspection two weeks ago. The exhaust was badly leaking and this is just a temp. fix to have it road legal. Sometimes tech. inspection is a joke, I was surprised they let me pass...

Name:  DSCN8235.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  DSCN8236.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  124.2 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Since it is finally road-legal, it was time to order some parts. Xmas came early this year.

Name:  DSCN8249.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  124.1 KB

I ordered a cheap exhaust from ebay (just an OEM replacement) till I decide on the way direction this project should take. Belgium is also very strict concerning mods, so it's hard to find legal stuff... I was surprised by how good it fits. The left back box needs some tweaking once the bumper is back on.

As you can see, I installed facelift tails and removed the towhook.

Name:  DSCN8251.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  DSCN8257.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  147.8 KB

- - - Updated - - -

And finally, I installed B6 shocks with KYB springs. Just OEM hight.

Name:  DSCN8254.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  186.3 KB

Ok, things did no go the way I planned them to go. 6 months ago, my parents' car (an '04 Volvo XC70 diesel) was send to car-heaven and all of a sudden, they found themselves w/o a car. So, I rushed to get the Legacy ready (it was on jack stands, bumper and wheels off and in need of new front brakes). I got plenty of things done, but forgot to take pictures since I was trying to get it all sorted asap.

Mounted some winter-tyres on the newly refurbished spec B wheels and got an alignment. Rear bolts are seized solid, so the rear is a bit off .

Name:  SpecB velg 1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  SpecB velg 2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  63.5 KB

Till now, they have done approx 4000 miles with the car and seem pleased, altough the Volvo was a smoother ride with better sound insulation (and a better stereo ), BUT, they have to admit the Legacy - altough a bit harsh to their likings - feels solid and planted when going down the road.

I still want to continue working on the car, but things will happen at a slower rate.
    Last edited by *thomas*; 12-15-2022 at 10:16 AM.

The Legacy has had some work done it the last few weeks. I got a letter from Subaru that the car concerning one recall (wire harness to fuel pump). Took it to the dealer, turned out it still had 3 recalls that hadn't been taken car off:

- fuel pump harness
    - pass. airbag
    - rear brake lines (needed inspection, no replacing)

They also changed the sway bar rubbers since there was a slight knock coming from the front end. I was concerned it would be the shocks, so was pleased with the verdict.

I also treated the car to some fresh rear discs and pads. The old discs were very (c-)rusty.

Next on my to-do-list is the cambelt, which will be a first on a Subaru...

I also gave the engine-bay a wash. Still needs some things sorted.

Before:

After:

Long time since my last update, still have the car. For the last two years, my parents have been using the car. They are doing some work around the house and once that's done, they might move on to a newer (and smaller) car. This means little has been done to the Legacy and the blemishes on the bodywork, combined with the tatty-looking interior are starting to bother me. I wanted to tackle these a long time ago, but sometimes life gets in the way.

I don't know if I will keep on to the car, but we'll see.

In the meantime, the cambelt has been changed (due to lack of time and good weather to do it outside the garage) and it's due for another oil change which I'll next week.

I had a JDM mcintosh stereo laying around for quite a while. Test-fitted a long time, gave up, but tought I'd give it another go. The JDM/RHD units 'fit', but there's a bunch of gaps which annoy the hell out of me, so I trying to figure out how to get this sorted. The HVAC works, no rewiring needed.

And this is how the car is sitting atm.

This will be the last time 'updating' this thread. The car has been sold, so ATM, the only Subaru I have is the Forester SH. My parents have switched to a Mazda 6 wagon.