Thread: Engine won't turn over - '01 Legacy Rev D GTB

Engine won't turn over - '01 Legacy Rev D GTB

Hey guys, bit of a saga with this car.

A short while ago I was getting a boost leak and so removed the inlet manifold (isn't that a fun job?) then I fixed some stuff up, hopefully curing the leak before putting it back together. When I first got it back together and I turned the key it cranked twice, then stopped and has refused to ever since. I've spent a while hunting down potential wiring problems etc but to no avail, today came the 'breakthrough':

So I pulled the intercooler off again this morning (what a ball ache that is to do every time I want to get to something underneath) so I could get to the starter. It would appear that they either stopped putting an earth on Rev D's from the starter, or mine had been removed at some point. I started to undo the top bolt and found it was wobbling due to the bottom bolt being loose. Had a bit of a 'wtf' moment, but all became clear. So I removed the starter and hooked the wires up and turned the key. Nada. Hooked up an earth and voila, 'click, whirrrr' as the sprocket shot out and span up. Great news!

Turns out some previous eejit overtightened the bottom bolt and stripped all the threads in the block. Unsurprisingly I don't have a heli-coil kit here, fortunately there were two fat washers on the bolt, 1 sprung, so I removed that one and it gave the threads just enough to bite on inside the block. Not ideal, but a temporary solution that can be fixed properly in the future. Back up top, my new earth strap now goes to the starter and when I try to crank, the engine turned over, again about 2 cranks.

New problem (might have been the problem all along) it won't crank past a certain point. I've got a breaker bar and 22mm bolt on the crank pulley and tried to turn the engine over and it's got a VERY solid stop to it right now. I'm not pushing too hard for fear of damaging something, but what could it be? When I pulled the inlet manifold off I was VERY careful not to drop anything down the inlet ports - tissue went into them immediately (and came back out when I refitted the manifold). The only other option is that something very solid is stopping the flywheel spinning.

What do you guys think? Seems like something jamming a valve or the flywheel hitting something are the only options, but all I did over the time the car has been off the road is the inlet manifold etc, not touched the driveline/gearbox etc. Weird.

Thanks!

If this can be moved to the 'turbo' subsection that would be great, thanks and sorry.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Can you post up a vid, I want to see what this thing is doing.

Hey mate, sorry for the delay. I decided I wasn't going to get anywhere without taking it to bits again...

Here's the video; https://www.dropbox.com/s/xp34sbi77x...921_2.mp4?dl=0

I was wrong in the video, I wasn't able to completely turn the engine over - I marked the flywheel with a pencil to check. I also watched the valve sequence. Front left was busy opening as I cranked the engine backwards (so on their closing stroke when cranking correctly. Front right and rear left opened and closed fine, didn't get to the stage back right started to move before the engine was locked again. If any of that makes a difference.
    As I was finishing disassembly originally a spring clip for a hose disappeared never to be seen again.

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Ruh-roh. Looks like said clip made it’s way into the engine! I’ve had this once before on and engine I was disassembling. Check if ya local halfords is selling those 50£ Chinese borescopes, I picked one up here in NZ for $100 bout 4 years ago, they are worth their weight in gold at times like this. Don’t forget you can get into each cyl through the intake valves, and the spark plug hole!

That clip is FAR too big to fit past an intake valve, it's one of those 2.5cm across spring clips that go on a reasonable size hose. Valves don't open very far really! My thinking is that maybe it went into the gearbox/past the flywheel. Could that, sitting in the bottom, allow the engine to rotate an amount but not all the way?