Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alucard's '99 Legacy GT.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-tracy View Post
    Always loved me an LGT wagon. Nice score!
    Thank you! The shop owner was hiding this from the world when I came looking for parts for my '99. I asked about buying it a few times and for about 3yrs straight, he said no. He caved in and here we are.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:

Example of fuel mileage.

High Output EJ25D update. That's 222mi from fill-up to the halfway point. Currently, this registers to about 29mpg (mostly city driving with some highway) but I can get just over 520mi out of this tank on mostly highway driving.

Not bad for 12:1 compression. The personality of this engine matches it's efficiency but if you leave your foot down on WOT long enough, you can actually see the needle go down. If I had cruise control, I could get about 550mi a tank at 70-72mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Doing a live ECU scan, I found that the ECU was pushing the RS fuel pump to match the fuel level the new EJ25D demanded over the EJ22D. 6.5% over what was seen as acceptable. Could even smell the hydrocarbons. Lol. Knowing that I had to get it back down to 0%, I installed a Walbro 255lph fuel pump I got for my birthday (9-15) and adjusted fuel pressure exactly 2psi up from the stock factory rating, which the ECU was content with and neither added nor subtracted fuel.

I also ported the throttle inlet and slimmed the throttle body plate on the inlet side to have the edge of a sharp kitchen knife. Throttle response is nicely quick. Enough to make this already-fun-to-drive GT wagon just about addictive to throw into and pull out of corners with an authority EJ25D's are just not supposed to have. As it is right now, this EJ25D is probably as perfect as I believe an N/A EJ25 hybrid CAN be so I won't seek more power.

In fact, I restored the previously removed snorkus and made the hybrid intake proper once again. Doing so increased the response on the low end a bit more whereas the snorkus had zero effect on this particular EJ22D (which is why it was removed to begin with/the ECU didn't register any detriment). I also reduced the copper spark plug gap down to .030. Everything I had done brought this EJ25D as close as I can to being as responsive and reliable as I can get it to be.

It's got almost 3000 miles on it already and runs like a peach, which I find hilarious because my last attempt at this kind of project for the EJ25D did not end well (to be fair, high speed runs on small oil pumps or blocks with diminished internal integrity never turn out well). For now, I'm just going to enjoy it and improve on the car more for it to be a competitor at Lime Rock Park's in-field.
    What tools are you using to monitor your ECU, I would love to know your feedback if you've had experience with some obd1 software.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by LosMan603 View Post
    What tools are you using to monitor your ECU, I would love to know your feedback if you've had experience with some obd1 software.
    I am currently using Torque Pro on my phone to connect to a Bluetooth OBD2 connector (ELM327) in my wagon.

As for OBD1 tech, I am in the same boat as you, looking for an OBD1 scanner so I can scan a friend's Tommy Kaira M20tb (green one next to my '99 GT).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Nice pics. Clearly I have not been around for a while. Thanks for sharing
    2010 Red Impreza 2.5i hatchback - SOLD
    (Still driving a Subaru now, though)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123