Thread: 1996 JDM Twin Turbo Legacy GT - Help Needed - Poor Idle/Stalling

1996 JDM Twin Turbo Legacy GT - Help Needed - Poor Idle/Stalling

Hey everyone!

So I am experiencing an issue that I am having a hard time diagnosing. My 1996 Legacy (Ej20h TT engine - MT) is stalling after about 20 minutes once the engine has warmed up. The idle is rough and the only way I can prevent the engine from dying is by giving a bit of gas. Otherwise I get the chug chug, chug chug and dead. At some points the engine almost sounds like a cammed V8 due to the rough idle and vibration is pretty aggressive.

Some background:

I fixed an oil leak coming from the oil pump a couple weeks ago. Prior to this, it ran very well. Once I fixed the leak, re-timed the engine and put everything back together, I cannot get it to run right. I opened it back up and redid the timing to be safe. I was extremely thorough with my measurements this time around, but no change. The vehicle runs and drives when cold without issue, but immediately takes a turn once warmed up. I do not have a CEL and am not getting any codes after plugging in the diagnostic wires under the steering column. What is the deal!?

Not long before all this, I replace the following: spark plugs, coil packs, knock sensor, coolant sensor, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, TPS, O2 sensor (passenger side/left side). I cleaned out the MAF, so my next step is to clean the throttle body and look for vacuum/intake leaks.

Any help is appreciate.

Thanks for your time!

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Found an interesting post online: https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...arting.521264/

Throttle body? Need a thorough computer reset? Hmmm (I could be VERY wrong, just throwing ideas around)
    2010 Red Impreza 2.5i hatchback - SOLD
    (Still driving a Subaru now, though)

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Hi bwolterm, did you get this sorted? I just dealt with something similar recently. I see you said you "cleaned" the MAF as I also did but when that didnt work after also fixing timing, wires, plugs, etc... I bought an aftermarket MAF off Ebay and that worked immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by bwolterm View Post
    Hey everyone!

So I am experiencing an issue that I am having a hard time diagnosing. My 1996 Legacy (Ej20h TT engine - MT) is stalling after about 20 minutes once the engine has warmed up. The idle is rough and the only way I can prevent the engine from dying is by giving a bit of gas. Otherwise I get the chug chug, chug chug and dead. At some points the engine almost sounds like a cammed V8 due to the rough idle and vibration is pretty aggressive.

Some background:

I fixed an oil leak coming from the oil pump a couple weeks ago. Prior to this, it ran very well. Once I fixed the leak, re-timed the engine and put everything back together, I cannot get it to run right. I opened it back up and redid the timing to be safe. I was extremely thorough with my measurements this time around, but no change. The vehicle runs and drives when cold without issue, but immediately takes a turn once warmed up. I do not have a CEL and am not getting any codes after plugging in the diagnostic wires under the steering column. What is the deal!?

Not long before all this, I replace the following: spark plugs, coil packs, knock sensor, coolant sensor, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, TPS, O2 sensor (passenger side/left side). I cleaned out the MAF, so my next step is to clean the throttle body and look for vacuum/intake leaks.

Any help is appreciate.

Thanks for your time!
    Hi if you open up the MAF and resolder the joint it should fix it , i have had over 10 of that model , the orange lable MAF is the worst but purple and green have the same issue , do not buy a non OEM sensors for these cars it will cause more issues , The MAF it self never fail, The PCB solder joints crack from cold solder joints , the poor running and throttle response will be from that , do not parts bomb these cars , they are very simple to fix if you know how to test them , i have 5 of them ranging from 1994 to 2003 blitzen the last of the twin turbos