Thread: Another NooB checking in.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Another NooB checking in.

I know it's not my first post like it's supposed to be, but pretty close. I'm the new owner of the red 98 "GT-R" that was on Ebay. I'm still not really sure what I got. I know it's a 98 Legacy, but I'm not 100% that it is a GT. I found one site for reading the Subaru VIN and get conflicting info even from that. One part of the VIN identifies the car as an Impreza and another says it's an Outback.
    Whatever it is, aside from the "custom touches" the last owner inflicted on her she is one clean car. It does have a couple things that will need attention pretty quick, but from the reading I have done here I think I have head start on taking care of them.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Welcome!! And yes, we were knocking on that car when it was on eBay. Like I said in a past post I wont knock a members ride, but this is the place to "de-rice" that Legacy. Any question feel free to ask.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Drama Queen 2.0
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    uuhhhhh... ARE YOU SERIOUS? How weird is that? The same car we were knocking on is on here....LOL!!

We just hope we can help you bring back your car to a non-rice status. We hope you can forgive us as we know not what we do.

We knew....and enjoyed every minute of it.

Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Welcome, and as the others said we will help you as much as we can to de-riceify that car and make it what its supposed to be. Its a Legacy, not a civic. As far as the VIN goes, post up the first 11 numbers of your VIN and we should be able to tell you whats going on with it. It should start off with 4S3BD6...after that the next 5 numbers/letter should indicate trim option and transmission. Looked to me like a GT from the trim, and looking at the amount of ebay and autozone rice that was added to that car, I would highly doubt the previous owner wouldve shelled out the money on the GT bumper and skirts. Welcome to the boards!
    Ryan
    "Retired" Site Admin

2007 Ford F-150 FX4
    2007 Yamaha R1

MY98 Legacy GT 5MT BD QSM **Sold/R.I.P**
    02 WRX suspension conversion w/STI Pink springs
    "Ridin' on Pinks"

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pwise2326

Level
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive
    Welcome! I would like you to know that i wasn't knocking your car like the rest....

But hey, Legacy GTs are good cars to have...Just hope you don't think that a turbo is a bolt on mod for your car like the eBay idiot said...otherwise you're up for a rude awakening
    Hope you'll be an active member too, we love that here!
    Cya around
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    HOWDY...PICS PICS PICS...i didnt see the ebay thing and im a bit curious...anyway welcome to the site.....and i hope ur gonna lose the GT-R thing
    Prodrive Beotch

I dont hate you because your car is gay...i hate you because you drive a honda!

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for the welcome and don't worry about me catching some of you knocking my car. Like you said the de-rice has begun. Actually I'm finishing a 7 day stretch at work today so the only thing I have done to the car is yank the GT-R badge from inside and on the rear of the car.
    Other than that I have started and ran it for a little while to see if either of the other problems go away. One is a rather loud tapping. Sounds like a valve, but from what I gather there are several things it could be so before I start to worry I'll be checking for loose bolts, bad welds, loose plug wires and all the other usual suspects. The other is the check engine light. My first suspect there is the home made cold air intake. This looks like it was done by yanking the stock box and sticking a big open element filter over the end of the tube. If I get lucky both of these problems will be simple fixes. Then again I'm rarely luck so we'll see.
    On to the VIN. 4S3BD6759W6 is the first 11. Here is the site I was lloking at. http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html Now that I looked again the 7 is one of the ones that confued me, but the example is for 2003 so I guess in 98 the 7 could have been the GT.
    I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get some.

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points
    That's so funny that you bought that car. I am hust glad that someone who could see through the rice at the real inter beauty got it. Good luck with the dericification. There is a lot of knowledge on this site. Don't be a stranger.
    2013 Outback Ltd.
    2000 Legacy GT Ltd.
    1997 Legacy Outback Wagon R.I.P.

"Run Smooth Run Beautiful"

Drama Queen 2.0
    Level
    Achievements:
    Is the taping noise constant? I'm almost inclined to say it is piston slap...what do you guys think?

Level
    Achievements:
    As 2deadlegs said (this is always the topic of choice for n00bs too) it is probably piston slap, a noise inherant to the boxer engine. Unless it is seriously loud, I wouldn't worry about it. There are several oil additives that will help calm the noise. I've used Lucas and it works well, and some others have said Marvel Mystery Oil Additives is good stuff too.
    Pictures! Pictures!
    (Remember the chatroom if you have any questions, there will usually be at least one person there to help you)
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    It is constant. I haven't let it run very long since I got it home. IIRC when I picked it up I started and let it run for a while while I loaded it on the trailer. I'm pretty sure the tapping seemed to quiet down a bit as the engine ran. I really didn't pay attention while I was hooking the straps on, but it wouldn't surprise me to find a Fram filter on the car. I have oil changes for the truck and car on my to do list for Wednesday so that will take care of one suspect.

Level
    Achievements:
    Generally, you could be right about fram, but fram filters have been used on this subaru for 171,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong...I'm switching regardless. To what, I'm not sure. I think I'll give Hastings a shot cause fram is cheapening their line up and they're getting expensive.
    yeah, as the oil gets worked up into the engine more, it will quiet down, but the Lucas stuff does the trick. I haven't heard anything in 3000 miles and the engine still runs smoothly.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Sounds like an easy fix. I'll grab some Lucas when I get the rest of the supplies. If it's just a normal noise then it really isn't going to bother me none. My other ride is a Cummins turbo powered Dodge truck. Talk about noise. :-D
    Ok, simple question here. How do I get the little icons to work? I clicked on the second little green guy and this is what I see :-D

"FNG"
    Level
    Achievements:
    For those wanting pics( I know I always do) I'll try and get some up after the oil change. While I'm at it I'll take some shots of the box of WRX tubo parts that came with the car. Maybe someone can use some of this stuff.

Level
    Achievements:
    About the icons....the first and second green guys are the same, just with different shadowing, but I don't think that's what you meant. you have to insert the smilies in the text where you want them....okay that wasn't clear. When you type something in, you should put a smiley where you want it in order. Smilies are always added to the end of whatever text is in the window. So you have to put it in when you want it or insert it later and cut and paste. Does that answer your question?
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Drama Queen 2.0
    Level
    Achievements:
    Maybe that noise you hear is ricewine....LOL!!! Get it!!

I'm just playing. I just put a fram on my car and I don't care what anyone says.. as long as it keeps chunks of metal out of my engine thats all I care about.