Thread: 1996 Legacy..

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

1996 Legacy..

I'll admit it, I'm a nub when it comes to most the things under the hood. I can do very limited mechanical work on my car and anything else I go to my father for. Recently I was involved in a car accident, more like a mauling of my car with a 91 Chevy Silverado.. pictures can be seen here: www.geocities.com/littleduckie628/subaru

Since my old man can do most the work, I'm going to see how much work I can get done on this car. She is either right on 114k as for milage or pretty close, I've had the car since it had about 20k on it and it has had very little motor work done and has never needed an exhaust, just routine maintance such as Tires, Oil, Plugs/Wires. I'm thinking of droping a new motor into it if I can swing it with the ins money. I'm just curious as to what the most affordable way of replacing the motor and getting more power would be. This motor seems pretty wipped, I only weigh bout 140lbs, and when I step on it alone, sometimes she kicks down a gear (automatic) and takes off, other times she kinda hesitates and then goes. When there's weight in the car most times she hesitates, such as a few friends or a full tank of gas. It's an L so it's only got the 2.2 in it. I'm curious if I can make the conversion to 2.5 easy or if I can find a Turbo'd or an aftermarket intake for a 2.2. The car is old and has high milage so I'm guessing I'll have anywhere from 4 - 5 grand to do the work with. I'm tryin to stay in that area as best I can. Let me know if you all have any suggestions. Thanks!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    I'm glad people can read my post but not reply. It's been almost 2 weeks and the guys ins company is pretty much jerkin me around. I need to fix the car at least cosmetically if I'm going to keep it. I've had no luck finding any 95 - 98 Sedan's in my area for sale. Any info on a place to get a good deal on a motor would be grealy appreciated.

Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Go to the vendor links section and look up F&S auto parts, it's the biggest subaru-only salvage yard I know of around, and is located off I-84 in CT. Give them a call and ask for Rich, he will help you find an engine with no problems, they have everything you can imagine there. Heck, if you wanted to do a engine swap with a WRX or other engine now's the perfect time! His prices are pretty fair, so give them a call with a list of everything you need and I'm sure he can get it for you. If you can't make it up to CT I could pick the parts up for you and ship them, or drive them halfway if it'd be easier, I'm maybe 45 minutes tops from the NY border, so let me know and I'll help you out with whatever I can.
    Ryan
    "Retired" Site Admin

2007 Ford F-150 FX4
    2007 Yamaha R1

MY98 Legacy GT 5MT BD QSM **Sold/R.I.P**
    02 WRX suspension conversion w/STI Pink springs
    "Ridin' on Pinks"

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pwise2326