Thread: 99 EJ22 wanting to turbo

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

99 EJ22 wanting to turbo

I've got a 99 Legacy with an Ej22 engine and auto trans. What do i need to do to turbo it or what engine is recommended to swap into this car easily? I've been looking at the EJ20H but i'm just not sure how well it's going to work. I'm also wanting to put a 5 spd to work in it.

Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Firstly, you won't be able to put much psi into that engine. They don't take to forced induction well, albeit it is possible. There are turbo kits you can buy, but don't expect to make rediculous amounts of hp, those turbo kits really kind of push the NA subaru motors to their limits.

I would recommend swapping, however it is not easy by any means. The EJ20H is the twin turbo if I remember right, and it won't work in your car because the way the turbos are routed is designed for a RHD vehicle. There are several other options to choose from. If you swap to a turbo motor, the 5speed swap is a little easier, you just need more parts. Try reading the sticky I wrote in the swaps and conversions forum, it's pretty comprehensive. Feel free to ask any questions you have after reading through that well.
    [url=http://www.EastCoastBoost.com]East Coast Boost[/url]

"Arguing on Nasioc is like wrestling with a pig. The pig has fun and you get dirty" -- Sha_zapple

Level
    Achievements:
    Where can i find a turbo kit at, i'm not wanting insane power, and what all would be involved in swapping out the auto for a 5 spd?

Level
    Achievements:
    AVO makes a turbo kit. It'll cost you about the same as a wrx swap, and reliability is a big tradeoff. 5 speed swap is no easy task, and unless you're going to swap, you're better off selling your car and buying a manual one.

"Arguing on Nasioc is like wrestling with a pig. The pig has fun and you get dirty" -- Sha_zapple

Level
    Achievements:
    what kind of PSI would i expect for the AVO kit and about how much power roughly? Also what exactly would have to be done to swap trannys?

Level
    Achievements:
    I'm not completely sure how much hp. You'd be running 5-6 psi maximum.

Tranny, youd need a manual trans, ecu, driveshaft, clutch master cylinder, pedal assebly, and other assorted things. If you search through the swaps and conversions forum, there's a link in several of those threads that goes through the entire process. I recommend spending some time reading through that section, as well as this one, and using the search button. There's lots of information about turbo kits and swaps around on here.

SLi Resident
    San Jose, "The Capital of Silicon Valley"
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    tranny and engine? sounds like you want a different car.

what will your parents think when you turn their 2.2L automatic into a street racer?
    1990 subaru legacy- i miss you!
    1999 outback 30th deluxe deluxe megafantastic orgasmmobile

subaru has more R&D money than the aftermarket.

Level
    Achievements:
    My parents aren't going to care, the last time they bought me a vehicle was in 2001 and then we sold it a year later. I haven't lived with them for 4 years now, I've had this car for about a month, bought it off my mother in law for $40 because they didn't want to fix the car. I fixed it for a couple hundred and it's as good as new. Personally i just like having toys. Down time on this car isn't a major issue. I've got a 01 Eclipse and 2 trucks so i'm ok there. I just don't want to put a major amount of money in it. Mechanical issues doing a swap are not a problem for me, i've been tearing down engines proffesionally for years now. I'm wanting this car to have just a little more power and make it a little funner to drive. All this car is doing is getting me back and forth to work 100 miles a day.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, if you don't want to spend money on it, you might just want to leave it alone. Either option will be costly. Turboing the stock motor is cheaper, but if you're putting that many miles on it a day, remember reliability goes way down. Swaps are more expensive, but more reliable.

Swapping isnt hard mechanically. It's hard electrically.

SLi Resident
    San Jose, "The Capital of Silicon Valley"
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpinblue02
    My parents aren't going to care, the last time they bought me a vehicle was in 2001 and then we sold it a year later. I haven't lived with them for 4 years now, I've had this car for about a month, bought it off my mother in law for $40 because they didn't want to fix the car. I fixed it for a couple hundred and it's as good as new. Personally i just like having toys. Down time on this car isn't a major issue. I've got a 01 Eclipse and 2 trucks so i'm ok there. I just don't want to put a major amount of money in it. Mechanical issues doing a swap are not a problem for me, i've been tearing down engines proffesionally for years now. I'm wanting this car to have just a little more power and make it a little funner to drive. All this car is doing is getting me back and forth to work 100 miles a day.
    im just teasing you, no hard feelings.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/subaru.html
    http://legacycentral.org/library/transm ... onvert.htm

those are for first generation legacies, but the drivetrain is the same.

you can also use turbo subaru hardware on that engine, everything bolts up. I don't know if you need a turbo subframe(and front swaybar) to get it to bolt together properly. You also need to tap an oil line. The limit is going to be fueling and the high compression- the block and guts are pretty sturdy, and the heads flow better than the turbo heads. I know several folks are running ~8 psi intercooled on phase 1 obd1 ej22's.
    1990 subaru legacy- i miss you!
    1999 outback 30th deluxe deluxe megafantastic orgasmmobile

subaru has more R&D money than the aftermarket.