Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AWD to FWD fuse for BK

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: AWD to FWD fuse for BK

so i have a question regarding this post. my town doesn't have a 4 wheel dyno so i have to put it on a 2wheel one. can i put the fuse in or take it out witch ever to get my car to only run fwd? i have a 01 leg
    2001 Legacy BH...

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

one the local dyno probally wont let you do it because its an awd car, even though it can be run fwd. safety issues
    two it wont give you an acurate reading
    98 2.5gt
    MA.N/A 413

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Speaking of the FWD fuse, I set mine up so that I can flip it from FWD to AWD & back again & I do notice that the gas needle moves a LOT less than it did before. Also, I could NOT stop peeling the tires every time I pressed the pedal (this annoyed the HELL outta' me) & the car shifts normally (actually, the shifts seem to happen sooner than when it's in AWD). I haven't gotten any problems yet & I don't expect there will be any (I'm guessing I'm pretty lucky I put Synthetic Differential Fluid on both ends (but there's always that chance that something will go wrong).

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Re: FWD fuse for Legacy

What size fuse do I use for FWD?

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:

ok i did this and i just pulled the a/c fuse and drove like that. My wagon would rev up and then shut off due to the trans sensing to much tension in the gearing. i think it was to much on my motor. no burn outs for me

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:

Can someone quote from a Subaru manual exactly what it says about use of this fuse? I've played with it and I've seen the changes but I can't find anything about it in my owner's manual.

I've got a 96 Legacy which had the shudder problem; see
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19897&hilit=duty+solenoid

I think it's fixed now that I had the AT flushed and filled with synthetic fluid and added Lubegard ATF Protectant. I say I "think" it's fixed because I only have 100 miles on it since the new fluid was added. But I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, I'd like to get some clarification on the use of the FWD fuse since that's part of the diagnosis of the problem. (See the above referenced discussion.)

Andy

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Owner's manual doesn't have the detail on the operation of the FWD fuse, especially in reference to diagnosis. It only references it with regards to using the temporary spare tire (page 8-12):

"(If your vehicle is AWD with automatic transmission) Before driving your vehicle with temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector located in the engine compartment and confirm that the front-wheel drive warning light comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle has now been deactivated. After re-installing the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel drive."
    - Jey
    1995 Legacy Wagon EJ257 turbo
    2011 Tribeca Limited EZ36

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:

You said:

"Owner's manual doesn't have the detail on the operation of the FWD fuse, especially in reference to diagnosis. It only references it with regards to using the temporary spare tire"

Ah hah! So they just don't want the AWD system (clutches or whatever) trying to make all the wheels go the same speed when you're using a donut which probably turns faster than the other 3.

That makes sense.

It would also seem to indicate that running with that fuse all the time might be OK. Or am I reading too much into this?

Andy

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

It doesn't completely disconnect drive to the rear wheels. It drops it down to 5% rear, 95% front. If it is towed with the rear wheels still on the ground, you will wear out the centre coupling clutch pack. The 4EAT has a full mechanical connection to the front wheels, but the rears are varied by the duty solenoid C (transfer solenoid) to transfer between 5% (open) and 50% (locked) of the drive to the rear wheels.

You will not save any gas by running it in FWD mode as all parts are still rotating as they were in 4WD mode. You will only succeed in damaging the centre coupling clutch pack.
    2005 JDM BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

http://www.dirtyolbc.co.nz - The beloved unloved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12