Thread: My other Ride

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

My other Ride

This may be kind of blasphemous since I haven't even posted a pic of my Legacy yet (I just don't have a decent picture yet!) but this is my 91 Grand Prix GTP.

It has some mods, recently dynoed 190 front wheel horsepower (it is rated at 210 crank hp from the factory) and its had a few engine improvements since then (as well as a retune of the computer it was running an eye burning, nose stinging 10:1 a/f ratio on the wideband!) I was a bit dissapointed in the hp numbers but I did like the power band peak power all the way to 7000 rpm (complements of the tweaked twin cam motor). If I get it back to the dyno this year I'm expecting 200 wheel hp and just about the same in torque, at least I hope so! Best of all it has a 5sp manual making it pretty rare and super fun to drive. It has all the goodies inside including a factory installed heads up display. I've had it for about 7 years now and don't think I can ever bring myself to part with it, its become my weekend toy but it only sees sunny days and sleeps in the garage all winter.

-john

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive
    I'm not a huge fan of pontiacs, but I have driven a Grand Prix and they're fairly fun, although comparing stock suspensions/tires, my Legacy (honestly folks) corners better. The one I drove was an auto, so I'm thinking a manual must be really fun! Nice paintjob too
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Ms. SLi
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    awesome! there for a minute when i looked at the pic i thought it was a TGP...one of my friend's here owns one...nice ride though 8)
    ~Jess~ [b]Moderator/Events Coordinator[/b]
    1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD
    1974 Corvette Stingray

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for the nice words. I wasn't expecting too much of a response since it seems A LOT of people despise Pontiacs and the motor in this one has a really bad reputation for unreliability. I really think its a great engine, you just need to stay one step ahead of it and stay on top of things like the timing belt and a few other common gremlins. I've given it nothing but hell and it just wants more. I think I got the wild air fuel ratio under control and I've added a custom built intake manifold arm (the piece connecting the throttlebody to the plenum) incorporating a 75mm throttlebody from an LS1 (thats a late model Camaro/Firebird V8 engine). I'm hoping to break 200 wheel horsepower on the next dyno run (roughly 240 engine crank horsepower) and roughly the same for torque, which I really don't think will be a problem. On the last dyno run it made 190 fwhp (thats roughly 220-230 engine) from 4500-7200 rpm isn't too bad especially since it still has the factory exhaust pipes. It really is a monster in its powerband.

Believe it or not that paint is the original from 1991, but it is garaged and hasn't seen winter in quite a few years now. Now to get a few good pics of my Legacy to post... I ordered an IPD 22mm rear sway bar for it last week (direct from IPD website). I was informed today there will be a 30 day delay

Ms. SLi
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    have you had any vacuum line problems yet? my friend with the tgp is battling those right now...wow, for the original paint, that is beautiful 8) your car is just gorgeous overall :-D do you have the leather or cloth interior?
    ~Jess~ [b]Moderator/Events Coordinator[/b]
    1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD
    1974 Corvette Stingray

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Achievements:
    I never really had any vac line problems. But then again I've done quite a bit of engine modification including a manifold swap from a 97 motor (bigger runners and plenum) so the majority of the vac lines underhood were replaced. As far as heater and a/c controls they all work 100%. The twin cam motor I have is known for the upper intake manifold gasket to leak, but it is very easy to replace and only costs a few dollars and about 30 minutes of my time. I've only had to replace it once from a leak. But I've had the motor apart quite a few times to play with different cam timing options and I don't reuse them since they cost next to nothing. It does have the leather interior. The interior looks just as good as the exterior - it has its flaws and I snatch up interior pieces I need or think I'll need when I come across them but they are a bit hard to find.

Has your friend with the TGP replaced his crossover pipe yet? It is very common for them to break at the flex bellows and once that happens manifold pressure drops dramatically and the turbo can't do its job. There is an aftermarket replacement that is supposed to be very good albeit pricey. If your friend is plagued by the crappy brakes he can swap the rear brake calipers and rotors in favor of the hardware from a 94-96 - it will make a world of difference!

Thanks again!