Thread: Tranny internals swappable????

Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Tranny internals swappable????

I was just wondering if anyone knows if I can swap out the internals of my FWD tranny for a gearset out of a WRX or Legacy Turbo? I've already shed the teeth of second gear on my old gear box and its only a matter of time before it happens again. I need stronger parts!!
    1992 Legacy FWD Turbo
    1998 Impreza RS EJ257-FMIC-VF39

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    What the heck are you feeding your motor? And why is a FWD tearing through trannies?

Since you have a FWD, I think you're extremely limited to swapping to another, (gasp) FWD tranny.

Should you decide to take your ride to the next level and swap in a AWD setup (easier and probably cheaper to get a AWD car), then your options may open up. Your next step? Find a freshly crashed Impreza RS or Legacy GT and snag the tranny, driveshaft, rear carrier assembly and rear crossmember with hubs, axles and linkage. At that point, you'll be going from front disc/rear drum to 4 wheel disc brakes too.

See what I mean about cheaper and easier to sell this one and get an AWD instead?

GGT

PS if anyone knows otherwise, please, step on up.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B DGM 6MT w/ 4 exhaust tips, 3 LSDs, 225's, stage2!

Wanna see it?

- traded - 2000 Coma 4x4 AT reg cab - black
    - stillborn - 1995 Legacy wagon w/ JDM Ver8 (VF37) & JDM 6MT - 3 LSDs @ +350hp
    - no more - 98 BD 2.5GT 5MT BGP -115,000 miles

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive
    I'd agree with gator, but considering your extensive mod list and hard work that went into the car, I'd say save up (you must have some cash flow with all those mods) and get yourself an AWD 1st or 2nd gen (if you want to do 2nd gen, a post 96 2nd gen would be the easiest for trannys) and swap from your 92 to your ?? car.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Sorry I can't offer information on cross compatibility, but regarding using a 4wd drivetrain I think that might not be the best idea if you're tearing up a FWD tranny. Depending on your driving style or road/track conditions putting the power down on 4 wheels might be even more likely to cause transmission failures.

You can though, have the FWD gears strengthened by shot peening or cryo treatment. Supposedly cryo treatment isn't as good because the stresses return to normal as time passes. I'm not an expert on this, but I suggest consulting with someone who is ;-)

Neil
    H11 Pleo RS CVT

Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    Well I have seen some gearsets floating around the internet for WRX's and they are based on the same principles. I've taken shifter forks and such from an AWD tranny to put in my FWD and they work. I want to try and find a tranny from a WRX or something and take off the rear housing that contains the center diff and rear output shaft and put my FWD housing on it, thus eliminating the AWD making a stronger FWD. Who knows, all I know is if I start hookin up I'm gonna start breaking stuff.
    1992 Legacy FWD Turbo
    1998 Impreza RS EJ257-FMIC-VF39