Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Interior Lighting Part 1 (Gauge Cluster)

Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    well I got around to doing this today and realized when I put everything back that I had put 168 bulbs in the cluster instead of the rated 158. I'm pretty pissed to because when I was sanding the speedo with the dremel I had it set to high. I went of the side and cought the face of the gauge and now there is a little light coming through by the 110mph. A Tip for those trying to get to the X1000rpm sign. I just kinda pushed it out with my fingers and got in there with a round(tube)style sanding bit. Worked great just have to be careful with speed. I have a cordless dremel that has 10spds. I pretty much kept it between 2-4rpm's. I'm not sure what grit the sand paper was but it worked well. They should come in a standerd starter package. Also for the 2 smaller brown plugs I just used 74's and kinda messed with the metal pieces in the holder to keep them in there. One last thing To get the best lighting effect from the gauges is to remove as much as the green silver/black layer on the gauges. Even if it's an area that does not need sanding do it anyway. The black/silver part is what tones the light down so removing this plus any walls that you can will make the best for the lighting effect. I just can't beleave how much of a difference it is with all new bulbs and all the gauges cleared out. Very bright!!!
    Mess With The Max, Get Scrapped Like The Rest!

Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    I think I may have found the M.I.A. smaller brown bulbs(The ones in the center of the cluster). I will check tomarrow to see if they fit but they look close enough to me. The number on them is #24
    Mess With The Max, Get Scrapped Like The Rest!

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Just dont forget to unplug the negtive of the battery just to avoid a air bag accident lol. Sweet right up i just pianted the black plastic bracket silver after the JDM sti look but im def doing the gauges tom. Thanks from mass.
    97 Legacy Outback
    89 Subaru GL - Rest in pieces
    85 Pontiac Firebird

Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    Here are mine:

Those wiring harnesses are WAY too short. Were I not extremely skinny this would have been impossible.
    [wagonista]
    '96 BG9 Legacy Outback // NA EJ22 // 5MT // daily for 9 years. She's still prowling the streets somewhere.
    '05 BP Legacy Outback // NA EJ25 // 4EAT // wifemobile, baby carrier extraordinaire
    '07 BP Legacy Outback Limited // NA EJ25 // 4EAT // the commuter
    '76 RA24 Celica GT Hardtop // NA 20R // 5MT

Level
    Achievements:
    Ya def use a sharpie and not a mark-a-lot marker they suck i just had to redo it.
    97 Legacy Outback
    85 Pontiac Firebird

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    So.................. anyone try plexiglass needles? with LEDS? or retrofit from another cluster?

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckthefuk
    So.................. anyone try plexiglass needles? with LEDS? or retrofit from another cluster?
    I tried uv light and uv paint but I haven't done it to the needles yet but it should work. I'll let u guys kno how it comes out when I find time to get to it. Right now its brake work and replacing cv joints.
    97 Legacy Outback
    85 Pontiac Firebird

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    I found that if you rotate the gauge cluster upside down before you attempt to remove it from its cave its way easier to remove and you dont damage the dash, trust me lol.

i did this and its my favorate mod so far.
    Northern california MILLWRIGHTS local 102
    91 black golf GT-I

this looks incredible, now all i need to change is the green lights next to my shifter {automatic} it looks like its all glues together, anyone have any ideas?

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:

Re: Interior Lighting Part 1 (56k, go fly a kite)

Has anyone been able to figure out what Radio Shack part numbers you need to replace all the bulbs in the speedo?

I assume the small ones are the same ones as the HVAC bulbs, or I may be wrong, other then that, what do you all think? Oh wait, now that I think of it, autoparts stores have both the 194 and 74's. Hmmm...thinking now...

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

Ok I got a practice cluster for free and started this. I tried four different colors: Red, Blue, Violet, and STi Pink. I narrowed it down to either Red or Blue. I really want to do blue. The problem is after I plugged the practice panel in, I could see the sanding on the back. Kinda hard to explain. If you looked at the numbers, you could see lines on the back. I am guessing that I just need to get some lower grit sandpaper to smooth it out. I just used a Dremal so far. What do you gents think? I also planned on covering the opera lighting, so there would be less light on the face of the guages.
    The three most common expressions in aviation:
    "Why is it doing that?"
    "Where are we?"
    "Oh S...!" *(The last three letters are omitted since when this expression is said, there is little chance to finish it)*

Quote Originally Posted by LunchBox04V
    Ok I got a practice cluster for free and started this. I tried four different colors: Red, Blue, Violet, and STi Pink. I narrowed it down to either Red or Blue. I really want to do blue. The problem is after I plugged the practice panel in, I could see the sanding on the back. Kinda hard to explain. If you looked at the numbers, you could see lines on the back. I am guessing that I just need to get some lower grit sandpaper to smooth it out. I just used a Dremal so far. What do you gents think? I also planned on covering the opera lighting, so there would be less light on the face of the guages.
    +1 for lower grit sand paper..

what's opera lighting?

edit: i meant higher grit, low grit = rough

oops

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

I got ya! lol I will play with the sand paper and see what I can come up with.....I will post some pictures. I did each guage in a different color.
    The three most common expressions in aviation:
    "Why is it doing that?"
    "Where are we?"
    "Oh S...!" *(The last three letters are omitted since when this expression is said, there is little chance to finish it)*

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by grayguy
    I was just wondering, on a LGT with the factory alarm, is there anyway to disconnect the Valet button/light in the dash so i can get the bezel all the way out? I didn't see any connector in there.
    Does anyone know about this? I am having the same problem. I pulled off the lower cover (below the steering wheel) and the wires seem to run back behind everything without a connector. I don't want to break anything by tugging on it too hard, nor do I want to risk cutting and resplicing the wires because there really isn't a whole lot of slack in them as it is and I may not be able to maintain a good connection.

Thanks,

Phil
    Last edited by Huffer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    because you can't spell adventures, but you can spell blaupunkt LOL

2011 Subaru WRX 4 door - 200m
    1972 Mercedes-Benz 250c
    2010 VW GTI 6MT - 18k - (Sold)
    1998 Legacy 2.5 GT 5MT Sedan - 118k - (Sold)
    1995 Acura Integra SE 5MT - 171k-186k (Sold)
    1987 Honda CRX Si 5MT - 173-191k (Died on me)
    1989 Jeep Cherokee 4EAT - 189k-228k (Sold)

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:

Sick im deffinitly going to do this in the near future! my sub is red and im trying to do the rest of the interior a red/black theme! this will be a sweet first step! thanks for the write up

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesO.G.SocialCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Perdue
    Edit: Would anyone care to try a blue sharpie or clear blue paint on their gauges, rather than bulbs to see if it would work? I hadn't thought to do it while I was working on mine. If it doesn't work, it can just be sanded back off.
    i have just done this...actually looks good...more of a violet blue then just plain ole blue...
    looks good and isnt hard on the eyes at night.

its actually the same color as in my ex-gf VW jetta TDI.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:

So, I got my new Outback and this is definitely one of the 1st things I want to do, but I'm a little nervous now. I did this to my BD and my fuel gauge stopped working. I don't want to assume anything, but I figured it was maybe because the needle moved some while I was sanding the back. What I really want is for somebody to say "its OK if the needles move, the car will automatically reset the position of the fuel gauge when you hook it back up....yours must have just been ready to die"
    As it is, I had driven the car enough before I did it that I had a pretty good idea the sort of mileage I could get out of a tank, so I used my trip-meter as a backup fuel gauge (lazy, I guess). I don't wanna get another one and just install it cuz that would look ridiculous (all red gauges and one green one?). Guess since I'm gonna try to sell the BD, I should get on the fix. Anybody know if my fuel gauge prob was just a fluke, or can i expect it to happen with my OB?
    ~Mark

'99 Outback
    '05 Colorado Xtreme
    XBL Gamertag - DeMarcoPolo

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:

Hey all,I know this is marginally off topic but hey www.autoaccesorystore.com will do glowy lexan needles (you guys in the states are lucky-it costs the same to ship them to New Zealand as it will to buy the damn things!!) but they look hot and I think they have red,orange,blue and green. www.etronicauto.com (an aussie company) will also do white face gauges that you can adjust from green to blue at night. I had some in my R32 Skyline and have got to get some for the subie. I think they only do the speedo and rev counter but I'm trying to find out if they'll do fuel and temperature as well. These retail from A$250.00 per set plus A$40.00 for a template for you guys needing mph. Hope this helps someone anyway.

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarcoPolo
    So, I got my new Outback and this is definitely one of the 1st things I want to do, but I'm a little nervous now. I did this to my BD and my fuel gauge stopped working. I don't want to assume anything, but I figured it was maybe because the needle moved some while I was sanding the back. What I really want is for somebody to say "its OK if the needles move, the car will automatically reset the position of the fuel gauge when you hook it back up....yours must have just been ready to die"
    As it is, I had driven the car enough before I did it that I had a pretty good idea the sort of mileage I could get out of a tank, so I used my trip-meter as a backup fuel gauge (lazy, I guess). I don't wanna get another one and just install it cuz that would look ridiculous (all red gauges and one green one?). Guess since I'm gonna try to sell the BD, I should get on the fix. Anybody know if my fuel gauge prob was just a fluke, or can i expect it to happen with my OB?
    I had the same thing happen on my bk, i took it all apart again and i found that the screws holding the gas gauge in weren't completely tight. The screws are what make the electrical connection from the circut board to the gauge itsself and if these aren't tight and in properly you won't get a good connection. I just took it apart and was careful with it and it works just fine now.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:

Say hello to my new best friend! Thanks a lot for the input!
    ~Mark

'99 Outback
    '05 Colorado Xtreme
    XBL Gamertag - DeMarcoPolo

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryPidgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by grayguy
    I was just wondering, on a LGT with the factory alarm, is there anyway to disconnect the Valet button/light in the dash so i can get the bezel all the way out? I didn't see any connector in there.
    Does anyone know about this? I am having the same problem. I pulled off the lower cover (below the steering wheel) and the wires seem to run back behind everything without a connector. I don't want to break anything by tugging on it too hard, nor do I want to risk cutting and resplicing the wires because there really isn't a whole lot of slack in them as it is and I may not be able to maintain a good connection.

Thanks,

Phil

i just broke mine when i replaced my guages from 120 mph to 140...is there any way to replace them?

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:

so in all the cluster has 6 bulbs that light the gauges? is the fuel and temp gauges lit by the same bulbs as the main gauges?

And the foreground lighting for the cluster where is that coming from?

second the twist lock bulbs the whole twistlock is one with the bulb right? You can't just pull the bulb out right?
    back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

Level
    Achievements:

I just picked up my dash LEds for superbrightleds.com anyways I did not buy the HP version of the 192 bilbs but the WLED-5 and two 74 bulbs SMT will it be bright enough?
    back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

Level
    Achievements:

All done!

High

low

green stuff off

If I had air suspension

back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

how did u get the needle to glow?
    -Chuck

Level
    Achievements:

the needle does not glow.. in the gauge is a clear strip that gets light's from the leds inside that's how it lights the foreground It's bright enough to see the gauges on during an overcast day
    back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

What bulbs were used to get them in white, this is what I want to do, but had really seen anyone get it done like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4
    All done!

High

low

green stuff off

If I had air suspension

'04 LGT / EVO9MR

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:

blues the way to go ;D

"why don't you clean the front of your car?"
    "cos they'll only be seeing the back"

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:

I like my green but that si just because I am a nerd. There is a reason some manufacturers still have green light in dash/buttons
    2016 Mazda 6 GT

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:

I just ordered red LEDs for everything, gauge cluster, hvac, fog, cruise, and defroster buttons as well as the AT shifter light. Cant wait till everything gets here!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast