Thread: 97 GT Wagon - What size front door speakers and max depth ?

"Proby"
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

97 GT Wagon - What size front door speakers and max depth ?

Car audio is one of those silly obsessions I indulge myself into. I'll usually rip the factory system out soon after buying a car and put in something more "worthy". Rather than wait it out, I'd like to know ahead of time what I have to work with. In my '91 I have JL 6 1/2 mids in the front doors which work nicely. I'm guessig its probably 6 1/2's in the 97 as well.

Anyone know what the max depth of a speaker can be in the GT ? Also, I'd love to see pictures with the door panels removed to get an idea of how they will be mounted. Do I need to build spacers out of MDF to get a good seal and proper mounting point ?

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    If you put in 6.5" speakers then you can reuse the factory spacer (they may require a bit of shaving though). The doors arnt terribly deep. I measured mine when I changed them, but I forget the exact dimensions.

My current speakers are 1.75" deep, which will fit fine without the spacer, but the spacer adds another inch or so. You also have a half inch or so between the spacer and the door skin so you could push the spacer out a bit more.

The door skin comes off pretty easily. Theres a screw by the door handle, and one down in the middle of the skin. the bottom and sides of the skin are held on my pastic clips which just pop off. Then you slide the skin ahead a bit and pull the bottom out, and then the entire skin up (it hooks at the top of the door by the window, helps to have the window down)

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    don't get infinity kappa 63.5is. they won't fit right. EVER. i had to do all kinda of screwy stuff and i'm still no happy with the fit. and don't cut that cover over the back of the speaker spacer, its a rain hood. my kappas get wet if i roll down a wet window. water right on the spider.
    rally racing... because football, baseball, and basketball only require one ball.

2000 Impreza 2.5RS Blue Ridge Pearl (Finally!)
    1998 Legacy GT Wagon, Quicksilver, 5MT. A few goodies. (Gone to a new owner and some needed TLC.)
    1968 Ford Bronco Project

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Lee is right (6 1/2") I'm not sure the depth, but you can have the door panel off measured and back on in 5-10 minutes.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

"Proby"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thnx for the info ! I'll probably be trying out a component set of CDT's or ID Chameleons. Once I have the panels off I'll know if there's enough room to mount the crossovers behind the panel or if I'll have to mount them back with the amps.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

I got my Adire Koda's to fit in the door. Sorta. 1.5 inches of spacing and they fit, but the stupid window stopper (little tiny piece of metal sticking towards the speaker) hit the very end of the magnet. If not for that, I could fit more. BTW Koda is one of the biggest 6.5's ya can buy -3 inches deep with a 6inch magnet.

Also i test fitted some CDT classics (61a) and they fit like a glove, but thats with the 1.5inches of space, so most speakers will. Pushing a speaker that far out actually does fit in the door panel still, close, but it fits.

"Proby"
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JjSwee
    Also i test fitted some CDT classics (61a) and they fit like a glove, but thats with the 1.5inches of space,
    Just what I wanted to hear. I'm just glad to see that this isn't one of those "freak" cars that has some obscure speaker fitment in the doors.