Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CV joint bad?

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    the boots are $28 each and you need to take off the outer tie rod to pull the boot off.
    98 2.5gt
    MA.N/A 413

I'm taking the car in wednesday to have everything that I can think of looked at, we'll see what they say.

Turns out that the right front wheel hub/bearings are bad. SOOO, guess we will have to have that fixed before an alignment is done. They said the boots are no big deal, to just wait until the tie rods are bad then replace them.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Hang on, the boots will help prevent things from going bad...so replace the boots and enjoy a less expensive repair.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

yeah, but the guy said it could be only a matter of time before those tie rods go, we dont know how long the boots have been that way.

Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Quote Originally Posted by machgirl
    yeah, but the guy said it could be only a matter of time before those tie rods go, we dont know how long the boots have been that way.
    Half of the mechanics don't know what they are talking about when it comes to Subarus. Sounds like your mechanic is just trying to pull a sheet over your head so that he can make more money off of you. You come here asking for help from us and you still want to listen to your mechanic instead of us when we combined know everything there is to know about our cars. If you don't want to listen to our advise and instead go with a shotty mechanic then go right ahead but don't come back to us when other things start to break down for not listening to us and still using the same mechanic. It was even suggested that you find a different mechanic, one who knows his head from his ass when it comes to Subarus including the older generations like ours. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but I'm just trying to bluntly put it to keep you from getting screwed worse than a gay sex offender in prison.
    97 Subaru Legacy Outback (Totaled)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184403
    http://s27.photobucket.com/user/PimpinS ... ar/Wrecked

Jacob McDonald
    210-445-9402
    Studying for ASE Certifications

AIM: PimpinSquee
    Yahoo: MagicSquee

I DID take it to another mechanic! RIght now, we're broke. We may not even be able to have this fixed right now. I'm trying to go about it the best way possible for us right now. Another $80 on top of the $415 we'd have to pay to get the hub and bearings fixed, and to fix the boots right now is just not possible. We still have not had money to pay off our mechanic that did the struts....I'm just so frustrated.

Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    We have all been there before. You may have to take out a loan to get the repairs done.
    97 Subaru Legacy Outback (Totaled)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184403
    http://s27.photobucket.com/user/PimpinS ... ar/Wrecked

Jacob McDonald
    210-445-9402
    Studying for ASE Certifications

AIM: PimpinSquee
    Yahoo: MagicSquee

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    $415 to do one wheel bearing? or are they doing both? geez i only charge $200 to do one front wheel bearing thats at $70 a hour at book time
    98 2.5gt
    MA.N/A 413

The $415 is to do the front right wheel bearing, the hub and the parts and four wheel alignment. To fix the boots he said would be about another $80.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Definitely don't take out a loan to have the repairs done... try to get as much of the repair work done at a quality mechanic - preferably someone who has worked on Subarus.

It sounds like you bought a bit of a lemon, with all this work being needed.

If you're broke, check out the links in my signature. You may find some hope there.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Well, we have no clue who owned this car before we bought it, and instead of doing my homework like I usually do, we were in a bit of a rush and so we bought it. However, I do believe once we get these little things done, things will be fine.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    I'm on your side, if the boots have been ripped for a while then I'd wait till the inner rod ends go and do it all at once. Just remember that you will have to get it alignment after doing the rod ends. You don't want to have to pay for 2 alignments.
    Silver 02 Legacy GT Sedan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12