Hello. I have been going around on this for a while, and came to the conclusion that need some help. (very early on...) Now let me start by saying I am not planning on self tuning my car. Here's the background... I'll get to the question after this. About 6 months ago I installed the COBB AccessPORT, and loaded the Stage 2 93 octane map. Now, I LOVE the power and torque! However... its a little hard on the fuel budget, even in "cruise" configuration. (I have found that there is an interesting relationship between the amount of boost delivered, fun had, and fuel used. lol) When I say cruise configuration I mean 17-11 inHg vacuum, 2500-3500 rpm, and 4th or 5th gear. As I understand it, COBB designed their off-the-shelf maps to "over fuel" the engine to protect it from detonation or worse (totally understand the legal stuff there). However, that means I'm really wasting fuel in cruise, just to have the power when I need it. Now, I know I could load the "Economy Map" to stretch my fuel dollar, but that means I won't have full power if desired or needed.

So, here is the question:
Is it possible to create a map where, in "cruise" configuration, it will run SAFELY lean (nothing crazy, just a safe economic cruise Air/fuel ratio), and in all other configurations, it will run the "aggressive" configuration?

I'm asking this here first before I pose the same question to the tuner I selected. (Looking at Clark Turner Tuning for an internet tune) I just don't want to look like an idiot asking if its trying to have my cake, and eat it too. I was looking at a local tuner in the Detroit area with a full dyno tune... But after talking to several people in the area I trust, I opted to not use that tuner. (Guess he went too aggressive and toasted 2 Porsches... yikes!) That is why I was opting to use the internet tune. Plus I would never see the return in fuel economy returned to dyno tune cost. Now, for the internet tune, I believe I can make that money back an then some.

As to Clark Tuning, I already asked a basic question as to the fuel economy of his map vs. COBBs. And he said his are a little more efficient, so that is good. I was going to see what you folks say here before asking him the question above, and what kind of increase in MPG he has over the COBB. (Actual percent. 1%? 10%?) A 1% gain wouldn't be worth it, but 10% or more would be worth it to me.

So, after all that being said, what do you folks think? Am I asking too much for a tune that does both? Should I just be happy with what I have and learn to draft? lol Just swap between the Stage 2 and Economy Map? Thanks for any tips you have.

Oh! One last thing, I have done some data logging, and found the COBB tune in "cruise" is close to the standard Subaru tune. About 14.4-13.2 A/F.