Just did the conversion on my '03 Outback. Dropped it with KYB shocks and H&R springs and put it on Einkei PF01s.
Originally tried doing it myself, but could only lift it up about 1 and a half to 2 feet off the ground and that just doesn't give you much room to play with so ended up taking it to a shop to have it done.

One thing I think you guys forgot to mention is anew steering column. The shop told me that with the new subframe position and universal joint for the steering, the original Outback steering column is now too short and you need a GT column assembly.
The GT column is part 34500AE04A for the '03s.
The shop managed to bolt the original column and GT U-joint together with 1 bolt just so it can be slowly and carefully gotten off the lift and parked outside, but it's pretty much undrivable until the GT column I ordered comes in.

So to anyone thinking of doing this, the OP is right. This is not the kinda job you gonna pull off in your driveway unless you got air tools and other fun equipment to play with. And do your research. Nothing sucks more than having to leave your car sitting in pieces for a week because you ordered only 1 flange bolt when you needed 4