Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

DIY: Installing MSD Coil 8239 MY96 2.5GT

So today I decided to install the MSD 8239 Coil pack on to my Phase 1 EJ25D.

I took some pictures and I followed liquidracing's method so I'm going to copy it from the huge MSD thread and post it here.

so, i was going to go with all MSD, and i will. for now though, i opted for a nice little neon coil. picked it up for 40 bucks with a connector. here is the low-down on the neon "upgrade"(three pin ONLY, haven't done foot work on four pin yet) Rolling Eyes

1)if you look at the two coils side-by-side, arranged with the connector to the left(just like if it were in the car, you at the front, looking at it, facing towrds the firewall), you will see the two "bumps" on the coil pack laying horizontally, with spark plug ports out either side. these are the individual "coils". there is a port in the middle on the left side, with 3 pins in it.

2)with these factors still inplace, walk around to the passenger-side of the car, staying at the front quarter-panel(driver's side for you east pond drivers). look at the connector port on the coil. you will see three pins. from RIGHT to LEFT, they are numbered 1, 2, 3, respectively, although there is no formal inscription of any kind on the connector, or port.

3)cut the connecter off your car between the snap and the coil pack, prefferably closer to the pack as i want you to throw it away when your done. Shocked remove coil and connector from your car.

4)take said connecter that you just cut, and lay it down next to the neon connecter. throw away the coil you cut the connector off, it's pretty much just a paperweight now. Cool

ready for the fun part? Very Happy

5)the connector diagrams are the same, EXACTLY! wiring-wise anyway.
    yeah, it's that stupid simple!

6)looking at the pins, on the neon connector, they are read from LEFT to RIGHT:1, 2, and 3(the reason it's not the same as the port, is that it's a mirror image of the pins on the port)

7)looking at the pins on the subie connector, they are read from RIGHT to LEFT:1,2 and 3

8)pin 1 is for cyl numbers 1 and 2

9)pin 2 is "12v signal in"

10)pin 3 is for cyl numbers 3 and 4

11)literally take the neon connector and subie connector and connect the wires, number for number: 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3. now you have a universal connector/adapter to use on your msd, accel, or neon coil, without killing the wiring on your car, although the subie coil has to give it's life for this connector. Very Happy

12)just plug into the neon coil and your off.

wow, this is sounding like a diy, but, is it? i mean, yes and no.
    Now on to the pictures, just follow the method quoted above completely and install with the MSD facing towards you so the harness port is facing the drivers side, which is opposite the way it is on phase 1's. I installed it facing the right way and the car just backfired when I turned it over. The bolts are M6 x 2". Also if you have a phase 1 block, you'll need later wires I believe from a phase 2 so I purchased NGK wires for a 1999 Legacy GT, they fit perfectly.

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 5MT

- Borla replica, custom 2.25" catback stromung track pipe 20" vibrant streetpower
    - MSD 8239 Coil Pack, NGK wires/plugs.
    - KYB AGX Whiteline Control springs
    - Whiteline adj anti-roll bars F/R

Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.
    My stock coil pack has male ends on it is there still a voltage difference between a oem neon coil pack vs mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk