Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good things that have happened to you?

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: Good things that have happened to you?

I took my dog to PetCO today, while I was there I saw my manager knock over a ton of cans (I'll admit I WAS laughing a bit) a lady walking by stoped to help him pick them up.....then I wondered over as well
    [url="http://www.myspace.com/bobsnotreal"]http://www.myspace.com/bobsnotreal[/url]

Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Perdue
    blah blah blah. in the past few days i've had to argue with a guy over the fact that he was more concerned about getting around my ambulance and getting to work on time than anyone's safety on my scene. i had the road blocked on a rollover with a 23 yr old mother ejected and killed.
    That's a damn shame man, seriously. I hate people like that, but you can't get away from them. I'm damn proud we have people like you that are in that line of work .

On a side note, it was a few years ago and I was riding in the car with a buddy of mine. We're at this light, and we see this car drive by on a cross street with barely any tire on the right front wheel, with smoke and sparks flying everywhere. I'll admit that at first I didn't think to do anything, but when I looked over at my buddy, we both had that "WTF we need to do something" look on our faces. The bad part was that the road led to an on-ramp of a busy highway. Luckily, by the time we got onto the highway the car had pulled over, so we pulled over right behind it. It happened to be a very elderly woman who probably had no clue what was going on. I got to her passenger side, and politely tapped on the window to get her attention (she was trying to exit her car). Long story short, we changed her wheel for her and told her to drive very carefully (donut). Once I got back to my car, I felt really good inside. To me, that feeling is better than anything in the world.
    '03 Silverstone L-SE - sold
    '07 Diamond Grey Metallic Spec. B

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?r ... d=72101191

KCCO

Level
    Achievements:

That's awesome dude
    [url="http://www.myspace.com/bobsnotreal"]http://www.myspace.com/bobsnotreal[/url]

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:

This past Saturday was a big snow storm, and me and a couple buddies were in my brother's 4x4 truck. We saw a car He in the ditch and decided to pull him out. My brother was crawling around in the snow looking for tow hooks on the car and the rest of us were trying to push his car in the foot plus deep snow while my brother tugged him out. The guy obviously didn't know how to drive a rear-drive vehicle by the way he was flooring all the time trying to get out. He even gave my brother 20 bucks for about 5 minutes of work.
    1997 Subaru Legacy GT
    190k miles

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Yeah, I'd just had a rough day at work. It does suck sometimes though.

On a lighter and more threadworthy note, I've been invited to help The Sheriffs Dept with their Summer Youth Camp this year. They usually ask a couple of us medics to come up and help out, but I won't be able to this year because I have to take classes through the summer semester. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll invite me back next year. It's awesome to go up there though. These guys volunteer (with no pay...the true meaning of the word) to do this leadership camp for jr. high kids. Everything from throwing out a little drug education to leadership to kickball and football. Really helps to keep the kids out of trouble on their summer break.
    John Perdue
    1998 Subaru Legacy GT
    2004 Subaru Outback
    2013 Ford F-150

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Achievements:

I believe you attract what you put out and what you think.. if negativity is what you think all the time, then that's what you'll get. I was negative for a very long time and nothing good ever came my way until I changed the way I thought and opened my mind.

My happiness all started with the Legacy, no lie. My car at the time was done and out and I just started reading about Subaru's. I had an appointment to go see one on Monday and later that day it got sold. Wednesday came along and the sales guy called and said it was still available, so I went to check it out and it had EVERYTHING I wanted. Green, 5 speed, folding rear seats, awd, low kms, and 4 door. I got it for the price I asked and even got approved for financing. Paid the car off in 2 years.

Then I found an amazing gf, but that ended this past summer and where most people would be saddened by that fact; once again more doors opened for me. My photography business is booming, not so much in profit but in experience and I'm loving it. I'm meeting all sorts of awesome people and networking is so much fun!

I also have great health, amazing and supportive family, the bestest friends anyone could ask for, and happiness.

I smile at random people and talk to strangers about the weather and help those looking for help as much as I can. I guess that's my way of paying it forward.
    JD - 2005 Legacy GT LTD Wagon 5spd
    jay-d.com

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:

What kind of photography are you into? My step-father has a business based off Landscape work. He's pretty good, I wish I had that sort of eye for it.

Here's the link if you're interested:

www.ronneihoff.com

I completely agree with your outlook though. If you're not happy and laughing whenever possible, why bother with this whole life thing?
    Last edited by Huffer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    because you can't spell adventures, but you can spell blaupunkt LOL

2011 Subaru WRX 4 door - 200m
    1972 Mercedes-Benz 250c
    2010 VW GTI 6MT - 18k - (Sold)
    1998 Legacy 2.5 GT 5MT Sedan - 118k - (Sold)
    1995 Acura Integra SE 5MT - 171k-186k (Sold)
    1987 Honda CRX Si 5MT - 173-191k (Died on me)
    1989 Jeep Cherokee 4EAT - 189k-228k (Sold)

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:

Once my air conditioner stopped working (compressor clutch not activating), so I took it to the local Subaru place (Nice Car Subaru), and they repaired everything for free! Nothing major, but it made the day better nonetheless.

Level
    Achievements:

Alright, it's my turn to add something legit to this thread.

Upon being faced with a $2400 estimate to replace my head gaskets and OEM clutch, KAG offered to hook me up for less through his dad's shop. That kind of generosity from an individual I've never met in person, and whom I had shared membership of an internet forum for no more than two weeks prior is something that I appreciate and admire.

The reason I'm not going through KAG is my second addition to this thread. A local Subaru-head who works at the Kragen in Davis, and is graduating from WyoTec Automotive Institute, along with her fiance who is an instructor there, offered to swap my engine and install a new clutch, flywheel and transmission insert for a mere $650 in labor. I have known her for less than three weeks, and have never even met him in person (although he has spent quite a bit of time helping me diagnose the problem and recommending solutions) Thanks to them, I am not only able to afford a more permanent solution to my car's problems, essentially halving the mileage on my engine, but can also upgrade the quality of the parts I am installing.

I call those good things.

1972 Mercedes-Benz 250c

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryPidgeon
    KAG offered to hook me up for less through his dad's shop. That kind of generosity from an individual I've never met in person, and whom I had shared membership of an internet forum for no more than two weeks prior is something that I appreciate and admire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffer
    One member saw a post I made and decided to send me something just as a gift.
    It wasn't a huge gesture but it really did make my day that someone would take the time to do something nice for someone else.
    KAG strikes again!
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:

You want to know a good thing that has happened to me? Probably one of the best things!!!??

Meeting Rodger....

He has yet again offered to help me, and expects nothing in return...... He doesn't even know me, but is more helpful than people I've called my "best friend" for years

So there's a good thing for you

Thank you a million times dudes

Level
    Achievements:

What a suck up Liz! :P

C'mon, someone else out there must have a good story to tell... even someone like Reason?
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:

last month I realized that my 401k, which was supposed to start in June, wasn't being taken out of my check. i asked my boss to look into it and start it in Jan for sure. Well,instead, she figured out how much I would have contributed in that time, deposited it out of her own money, and then even lived up to the company matching!! i basically got a $1200 bonus in my 401k. gotta love employers that take care of their workers in this day and age!
    '00 lgt BE 5MT
    '07 Fozzy

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:

Well if that's the case then I was recently placed in charge of safety for my company, on top of my other duties, as well as receiving a raise. Getting a raise with today's economy is unheard of! Unless you're the CEO of a bankrupt company.
    2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Special Edition

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by 99SUS SFD
    Well if that's the case then I was recently placed in charge of safety for my company, on top of my other duties, as well as receiving a raise. Getting a raise with today's economy is unheard of! Unless you're the CEO of a bankrupt company.
    You know your company is going to be around for a while, you haven't received a $25k payed vacation yet.

1972 Mercedes-Benz 250c

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:

Nothing in particular, but I have my health and my family...that'll do.
    98 bk?

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer
    I got your PM, I do have a spare cluster... it's at the bottom of my parts bin. I was actually planning on using it myself when I attempt my own gauge install, but I would rather have you back on the road.

I'll PM you in the morning with a price etc. I may be able to get this in the mail to you Dec 26th.
    SL-i members strike again!

1972 Mercedes-Benz 250c

Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Bumpin this, because I have a lil' story.

Yesterday I was headed down the road on my way 'to town' (seriously, I have to drive 13 miles to get to the nearest gas station) in the Outback when I came up behind and old man in a beat up 1987 Ford Ranger Custom, 2WD stripper model (identical to one my family had, and I overhauled). He was going up a hill, when it just got slower, and slower, and slower, and then, FIRE! HOLY S*** . So he pulls over, gets out, and I come around with my big-ass fire extinguisher, pop the hood release, and spray under the hood. Once that killed the flames, we slowly opened it up. One of the carb gaskets gave up and leaked gas on to something hot, not sure what, but it was enough to ignite it. I went back to the BattleWagon, got my tool box (I love my wagon, lol) and we started working on getting the carb off. As we're tinkering on the roadside, a man walks up behind us from the house we stopped in front of, holding an identical carb and and intake manifold. He said, "Here ya go, ya'll just put this one on. I had it sitting out in the shop from my old truck this summer, rebuilt it, and meant to sell it, but decided to keep it for some odd reason. I guess this is a good enough reason!" He hands it to the old man (named Jim) and Jim goes to get his wallet to try and pay him. When he came back around the front of the truck, the other guy had disappeared. I never saw him leave, but he was gone.

So, we installed the rebuilt carb (still on the side of the road... lol...) and fired the truck up. Ran like a top! We went up to the house and knocked on the door, but apparently the guy doesn't live there? So, we just decided to go. Jim pulled away, and I followed him into town, where we split.

It was just odd.... but ridiculously cool at the same time.
    '00 BH Outback -- The BattleWagon
    Axxis / Accel / General / RalliTEK / KYB / Hella / Borla / Magnaflow / Pioneer / Shell / Subtle / ScoobyMods

'07 Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV --
    Injen / Castrol / Bosch / AEM / OSIRIS / H&R / Kuhmo / Konig / StopTech / Hawk / Megan / NISMO

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunner
    Bumpin this, because I have a lil' story.

Yesterday I was headed down the road on my way 'to town' (seriously, I have to drive 13 miles to get to the nearest gas station) in the Outback when I came up behind and old man in a beat up 1987 Ford Ranger Custom, 2WD stripper model (identical to one my family had, and I overhauled). He was going up a hill, when it just got slower, and slower, and slower, and then, FIRE! HOLY S*** . So he pulls over, gets out, and I come around with my big-ass fire extinguisher, pop the hood release, and spray under the hood. Once that killed the flames, we slowly opened it up. One of the carb gaskets gave up and leaked gas on to something hot, not sure what, but it was enough to ignite it. I went back to the BattleWagon, got my tool box (I love my wagon, lol) and we started working on getting the carb off. As we're tinkering on the roadside, a man walks up behind us from the house we stopped in front of, holding an identical carb and and intake manifold. He said, "Here ya go, ya'll just put this one on. I had it sitting out in the shop from my old truck this summer, rebuilt it, and meant to sell it, but decided to keep it for some odd reason. I guess this is a good enough reason!" He hands it to the old man (named Jim) and Jim goes to get his wallet to try and pay him. When he came back around the front of the truck, the other guy had disappeared. I never saw him leave, but he was gone.

So, we installed the rebuilt carb (still on the side of the road... lol...) and fired the truck up. Ran like a top! We went up to the house and knocked on the door, but apparently the guy doesn't live there? So, we just decided to go. Jim pulled away, and I followed him into town, where we split.

It was just odd.... but ridiculously cool at the same time.
    That's a great story, and its even better because the guy didn't stick around expecting thanks or payment. That's the sign of a true Samaritan.

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:

I had an absolutely funny instance this week. A senior couple and their 3 grandkids were attempting to cross a 4 lane major street where i was making an equipment delivery. The elderly woman asked me if I could hold up traffic so they could cross. without thinking I found an opportunity to head out an hail a couple cars to stop. as the family was crossing the old woman says to me " glad your out here to absorb the impact if we all get ran over" that was the most funny slash horrible thing you can say to someone in the middle of the street.
    This just in 16.9 @ 80MPH IS NOT FAST!

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

not sure if its fits this thread but two weekend ago i was going to my folks house by myself in the car with a brand new to me radar detector so lets say i wasn't paying attention to speed limit much, doing about 85-90 most of the time, barely any cars on the road some lonely accord jumped on my back and tailing me for like 10 miles or so im just listening to the music and enjoying the drive. out of an on-ramp comes out brand new gtr i am thinking this guy is gonna think im trying to race him since im doing 90(my cruise only goes to 90). Hhe does as soon as he realizes that some car is trying to keep up he accelerates, but i guess he wasn't on the cruise cause i keep catching up with him over and over this goes on for good 25-30 miles, and we hit this nice curvy stretch where i like to push it a little so i get up to 110 maybe he obviously still thinks im racing him so he punches it to probably 140 and then lets go while i keep at 110 then the stretch ends with a flat bridge terminating into a 25-30 degree slope now at this speed my car almost bottoms out from hitting the incline and i realize that he is going to hit it hard, in the middle of the bridge we line up and i show him with my hand to kinda slow down instead he gives me a finger and hits it again. i think he was around 125-130 when he hit that incline and sparks went on flying in every direction possible minding im doing 90 and easily catch up next to him with a grin on my face. you should've seen the scare and shock in his eyes im pretty sure he bend at least some belly pans or what ever is there. but i hope he learned a lesson not to be a prick to others. lol
    98 GT -- Intro to Subaru. Cooked HG, dead suspension, and lots of ricer mods.
    02 Outback H6 -- No more HG issues, but ate two 4eats.
    09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
    13 E350 S212 -- No more Subaru!! Why does that make me happy?

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by dodik
    not sure if its fits this thread
    It doesn't really fit the thread because nothing really positive occurred, except some douche-baggery driving. But at least no one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunner
    the other guy had disappeared. I never saw him leave, but he was gone
    Roadside angel mate, that's all.
    - Roger - Site Admin

Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:

bout a year ago i ran out of gas on a toll highway in the middle of the night. i had absolutely no money with me. i walked a mile towards a group of lights and found a one horse town, i walked into a gas station just as they were closing and asked to use their phone, but the manager wouldnt let me when i told her my call was not local, so a girl working with her let me use her cellphone. i called my brother and told him i was about 45 minutes away and that i had no money.

HE BLEW ME OFF AND SAID TO FIND SOME GAS!!?

i probably looked like i was going to cry as i handed the phone back, so the girl asked if she could help, i explained the situation and she said her b/f would be there in a few minutes to pick her up, so they filled up a 3 gallon container and drove me back to my car (92 wrangler 4cyl) i couldnt thank them enough and they drove away.
    so i chugged off but ran out of gas again 20 miles later (hole in the gas tank?) but thats a story for another time...

Level
    Achievements:

^^ Nice!

While my car has been down and out, I've been able to use a work vehicle... that was specifically for the owner's personal use. But he want's it driven, and looked after. So I've been able to drive a brand new vehicle! And I didn't even have to ask. The timing just worked out perfect.
    - Roger - Site Admin

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:

the last snow storm we had I decided to just drive around (where I work town was caught off guard) anyways the roads where already icy so as I was driving along this side road I saw this women in her Mercedes stuck.. when I saw her she saw me look.. so about 4,000 ft up the road I decided to turn around in the intersection (not as bad as you seem traffic was non-extent)

So I drive up to her again and she looks over again so I figured I can't park my car on the hill because it's going to slide backwards so I parked for a few in someones driveway and I went down the hill to help her out.. well not only did I almost fall 5 times because of the incline but I helped her out because she wanted to turn her car around but she could not see the traffic coming the other way so I gave her a hand.
    back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:

my first car was a 78' VW microbus , and it broke down on the highway one night. had my girlfriend (of that era) with me. it was late and cold, so instead of walking the mile to the gas station we just napped in the back for an hour or so.

i got out to look at the engine for loose connects, and another VW bus pulls up and gives me a ride to the gas station.(this was before cell phones, so i got to call my fam from the station)

turned out to be a sensor had shook loose. went back the next day, plugged it in and drove home.
    “Fast, Cheap, and Good… pick two. If it’s fast and cheap it wont be good. If it’s cheap and good it won’t be fast. If it’s fast and good it wont be cheap.” Fast, cheap and good… pick (2) words to live by.

Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:

BIG thanks to the county worker in the snow plow that pulled me out of the ditch today, and to the farmer who pulled me out of another ditch 5 mins later (though he cost me 10$)
    I was very fortunate to have only been stuck for a few minutes before they saw me.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

A friend called me up last night and asked if he could use the spare room. Him and his wife had some words and he was giving her space calm down. It was nice to be able to help a friend in need when he needed it...

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

I was dreading shoveling my huge driveway last night. I came home to a completely cleared off driveway! I still have no idea who did it, but my girlfriend and I are thankful. It's the small things that make me happy.
    [b]'98 BD/5MT[/b] 188k, stock... for now...
    "risk without regret" -me

Level
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

The birth of my son, nothing will ever top that day.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast