Thread: JDM EJ20TT convert to a EJ20T

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

JDM EJ20TT convert to a EJ20T

Ok so its clearly explained that EJ20TT needs alot of custom work to fit it into the LHD USDM Subaru. Months of searching for a new engine I see that EJ20TT are alot cheaper and there are alot out there compared to the EJ20T because most people wont even bother buying the TT because with the custom work issue. Now let me ask you guys this question. Has anyone bought a EJ20TT and convert that to a single turbo? And to do that does is it require just as much work if it was to fit the TT into the USDM subaru? or is it much easier then that? I ask because the TT's are like 500CAD complete in Toronto, and that is hell cheap.

Note: I looked up intill page 8 , and I didnt see anyone that posted this question so I thought I will. If this has been covered before I do apologize..
    JDM Garage

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:

Re: JDM EJ2OTT convert to a EJ20T

Yes it can and has been done. I remember reading a thread about it not too long ago on one of the Subaru forums. I just tried searching RS25 but didn't turn anything up. All I know is it can be done but its not super dooper easy. There's a lot of oil lines and plumbing junk to clean up on those EJ20TTs. Might want to look into an EJ20G, those are cheap and super easy to work with.
    -'97 Legacy Outback - 5MT, DOHC EJ25D/EJ22T hybrid w/ VF8 turbo @ 11psi - 170 whp / 200 wtq (untuned)
    -'00 Impreza 2.5RS - 5MT, LSD, STI Ver 4 interior, I/H/E, spring/strut combo, still N/A

Past ROTM winner! Thanks for the support SL-i!

SLi Lurker
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:

2000 Legacy BE 5MT - RIP 7/28/09
    2000 Outback BH 5MT - 218k and strong!

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Yeah, i only posted that on this forum, cause it seems to be the only forum where this question is asked!

It's a damn easy conversion, you can use parts from pretty much any year STi. I recomend only 2 engines for the conversion. The EJ20R and the EJ208, both make 206KW at the flywheel from factory.

For future reference:

The EJ20R is the BG GTB (Manual only!) engine. It's a "MASTER-4", and the first legacy engine to develop 206Kw/280ps/276hp at the flywheel. It is baically a twin turbo STi engine (minus the forged pistons and shim under bucket)(Closest Single turb engine is the STI EJ20K), and is packed with goodies from the STi's EJ20K, like yellow top injectors, orange AFM, STi camshafts and the 3Plug ECU. ECU wise, to swap it with a factory ECU, you simply plug in a V3/4 STI ECU, and away you go (you need to change 2 wires to make in run wasted spark though). These ECU's are OBD-1 btw

The EJ20H is the BG GT/Auto-GTB engine. It's closest single turbo counterpart is the EJ20G, but is pretty different. It's really not a good choice to start if you want to make any power out of it in the future, and will be harder to convert than a 20R.

The EJ208 is the BH GT/GTB (Manual only!) engine. It is "Phase-II" engine, makes the same 206Kw as the 20R, and is OBD-II. It's perfectly capable, and you swap ECU's with the V5/6's. Just note, people have had issues with STi ECU's, turns out the STi 207 is much lower compression than the 208, and they get det issues. Manual WRX ECU's work perfectly though.

The EJ206 is the BH GT/GTB (Auto) engine. Pretty similar to the 208, but is less powerful. I don't know any more about the 206, but looms and such i suspect are the same, would be just the same as converting a 208.

Beware the 20R blows big ends as much as 2.5's to HG's. While it is a fantastic and simple engine, and pretty much STi already - only get one if you can afford a rebuild! Don't go for a 20H, you're better off finding an old 22T or something. the 20H is more reliable than a 20R sure, but it's handicaped in a word. Restricted from factory (things like grey injectors), lower power, and comes with an obscure wiring loom. that's compatible only with 20G ECU's, but only after you repin some of it. The 20R simply is a better starting point. EJ208's are harder to find and more expensive, but are both powerful and reliable at once. If you can get a 208, it's the one to go for i think. Close second is the 20R

Damn, i have a knack for getting threads stickied!

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:

Re: JDM EJ20TT convert to a EJ20T

I have a JDM 94 GT Wagon (manual) with a EJ20H. Power just isn't cutting it. What can I do? Can I swap in ej20g injectors and a sti turbo? What is involved? Would I be better off doing a 16g turbo, upgraded exhaust manifold, and something like a greddy e-manage piggy back? What are my injector options for the 20H?
    -1993 Subaru Impreza L Sedan (WRX Swapped) - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -1994 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (JDM Twin Turbo) - Lovin' it...
    -1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -1999 Subaru Impreza RSTi Coupe - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]
    -2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan - [b][u]SOLD[/u][/b]

-Jason [i]aka[/i] [b]"Rookie"[/b]

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

what mods have you got on it currently?

I would say straight away go single turbo if you've not already done that (if you have, what turbo and ecu are you running?).

Then 3" Turbo back exhaust, FMIC, CAI, tuned length headers, up pipe, EBC if you've not done those either.

Then fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors and fuel rails and piggy back or stand alone after market ECU.

Level
    Achievements:

Ok, so the plucky little EJ20H. The 20H runs the "380cc" Grey top side feeds, these are the same shape/size as the version 3/4/GTB Yellow top "440cc" injectors. But that's it. The later V5 and 6 yellow 440cc injectors are actually different. The 5/6 injectors you can decap, the 3/4 ones you cannot.

The problem with the EJ20H GT is not the engine though, it's the loom. It runs a unique 4-plug loom, it's not the same as a 4-plug wrx loom, and it's not the same as a 3-plug either. It's actually a bit of a missmatch between the both actually.

I've not seen a conversion done on one of these myself, successfully, with a factory ECU. There may have been, but the only case i know of, the guy chose to go with aftermarket management. And this is also what i'd suggest doing if you wanted to single your GT. With an aftermarket ECU, allot can be unlocked from said plucky little EJ20H's. My mate with his converted one makes easily as much power as my GTB.

In short, my recomendations for the conversion? Go aftermarket with the ECU, slap a big TD05 or VF39 on or something, upgrade to yellow injectors, and lose the air-flow-meter. Done. 250 whp at your feet.

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

the early EJ20H loom has been converted many times before here in Aus. usually to version3 STi Spec

i'm currently converting my BG5-A (GT) EJ20H loom to run the BG5-C (GTB) EJ20R ECU as my GT has an EJ20R shoved in it in place of the asthmatic EJ20H.
    I have both versions of pinouts and have both of them cross-referenced for an easy re-pin.

Level
    Achievements:

Well i always figured it was possible, but it's just such a pain to do.

If you have information to make it easy, clubsub.org.nz wants YOU!

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

yep,
    once it's running 100% i'll compile my data and post it up.

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

well i know this thread is over a year old, but i figured what the hell ill post some info.
    yes. you can and its very simple, swap IN and EX manifolds and then tap the oil return for the left turbo, and put a plug in the hi pressure oil feed and return that you tapped, change the oil return to a "single turbo" pipe and your set.

we import engines and we do this all the time. infact the later model twin turbo (EJ20R i believe) longblock is offen used as a replacment long block for the USDM EJ205.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!