Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

Re: BE suspension upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by JLav211
    Alright fellas, I've finally found the elusive RSR Springs @ Japan Parts. Here's my concern - the language on the site seems to indicate these were for the Turbo model:

Spring rate: F: 3.86, R: 5.92. Front: 40-35mm, Rear: 35-30mm down. For BL5 Blistein equip model. Price is a set of four.

If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean these springs were only for the Bilstein equipped model? Which would have been the Turbo? My knowledge of JDM models is limited, at best. I'm afraid this means they will suffer from unsightly reverse rake.

Anyone know true lowering/spring rates of the Whiteline Controls? Trying to figure out if the RSR's are an improvement.
    I'll help you out with model information, and it may help you with your answer. Otherwise, somebody else will have to chime in.
    First, non-turbo models got Bilsteins too. Only the base models (RS and S models for 3rd Gen) didn't. Second, a BL5 could be either a turbo or non-turbo. And that brings me to - your signature says you have a BE, and this suspension is for a BL. I don't know if they're interchangeable, this is where somebody else will have to say something.
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

As long as you fit the BL strut tops, the springs will fit fine. BH bilsteins have a wider strut top and the spring from a BL will not sit properly in them. Bottom perches and spring lengths between BL and BH are identical.

Tried fitting a set of BL springs to my BH a couple months ago and found this out first hand.
    2002 Legacy GT30 - DCCD Short Ratio 5 Speed - 2006 EZ30R - Link G4 Extreme ECU - Tein Coilovers - STI 4Pot Front Calipers - Suretrac Rear LSD

"Proby"
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:

I should have included this - this is the rest of the ad description:

Car Manufacturer: Subaru
    Car Name: Legacy BP/BL <Liberty> 2003/2004/2005, Legacy BH/BE <Liberty>
    MODEL: BL5/ BE

Would it make sense that the springs would work with either model?

Good to know that other models came with Bilsteins - I was afraid these might give me the dreaded reverse rake.
    1987 BMW 325is
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

"Proby"
    Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:

Need to bump this up - any help appreciated.

I've been talking with the vendor JapanParts on NASIOC. They are telling me that RSR has specified these springs only be used on Legacies equipped with Bilsteins. What they cannot clarify (or won't) is whether this is because RSR doesn't want to see vehicles lowered without the sturdier Bilsteins, or if there is something tied into the suspension components of vehicles equipped with Bilsteins from the factory that is inherently unique and would require that my car have come the same way.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to which it is...? I'm thinking the former, and maybe I'm just dealing with a language barrier whereby we're saying the same thing but not in a coherent fashion. I don't know. I do have an email in to RSR.

Thanks for any help.
    1987 BMW 325is
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Cone Eater
    Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Quote Originally Posted by JLav211
    Need to bump this up - any help appreciated.

I've been talking with the vendor JapanParts on NASIOC. They are telling me that RSR has specified these springs only be used on Legacies equipped with Bilsteins. What they cannot clarify (or won't) is whether this is because RSR doesn't want to see vehicles lowered without the sturdier Bilsteins, or if there is something tied into the suspension components of vehicles equipped with Bilsteins from the factory that is inherently unique and would require that my car have come the same way.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to which it is...? I'm thinking the former, and maybe I'm just dealing with a language barrier whereby we're saying the same thing but not in a coherent fashion. I don't know. I do have an email in to RSR.

Thanks for any help.
    the spring shape are still the same on the non-bilstein. The difference is they probably designed the really high spring rate to be paired up with the more aggressive damping rate (probably moreso on the rebound side than the compression) of the bilstein than anything else.
    2005 Outback XT
    2003 Legacy L "Special" Edition...RIP CLICK HERE

GO > Show. Every time.

STI is the new medically accepted term for STD.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

I'd agree with that. Aggressively lowered springs will put more of a strain on the strut, so it makes sense to specify a heavier duty damper (and one that's rebuildable).
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

hey JLav211 if you ever find front top perches from 05+ let me know where i have a set of front springs sitting on a shelf for a while now, if you ever find the part number let me know. IMO its better to have firmer struts and softer springs then firm springs and soft struts. when spring is too hard for dampener it will feel like struts are busted while if dampener is stiff you'll actually have similar to coilover feel on the bumpy roads. Thats what i have now your old kybs + my stock springs and it handles amazingly. Although i think struts are going to wear out a bit earlier then they should've.
    98 GT -- Intro to Subaru. Cooked HG, dead suspension, and lots of ricer mods.
    02 Outback H6 -- No more HG issues, but ate two 4eats.
    09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
    13 E350 S212 -- No more Subaru!! Why does that make me happy?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234