Thread: 97 legacy RWD?

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

97 legacy RWD?

Ok so ive found the car can be put into FWD - im no mechanic but is there a similar way to disable the front wheels? RWD?

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Not without a lot of custom work to the tranny.. There is no simple way. The fuse to make the car FWD is for when you have to tow the car with one set of wheels on the ground as opposed to flatbedding it. You should not be driving the car in FWD mode as I have heard several people say that they grenaded their tranny doing this. It is not ment to be driven that way. As for the RWD, you have to know what you are doing. Disconnect front drive axles, need to weld several spots on the interior of the tranny (that makes it sound too easy, there is much work involved). I would stick with AWD personally, much better :-D

-BB98

PS anyone, please correct me if you have more/better info.
    ~Matt
    '15 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab
    '06 STi w/full bolt ons

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:

Re: 97 legacy RWD?

Quote Originally Posted by jhip20
    Ok so ive found the car can be put into FWD - im no mechanic but is there a similar way to disable the front wheels? RWD?
    Unfortunately not.

The way the FWD system works, is that it simply opens the Duty Solenoid C, which controls the MPT Clutch mechanism in the automatic transmission's "center diff". I say that in quotes, because it's not really a differential. It's an automatic electronic clutch pack.

The way this works, is that when the solenoid is fully open, (duty cycle 100%) the car is solely FWD. When there is wheel slippage (speed variance), the clutches engage and send power rearward to a maximum 40/60 (or whatever it really is) split.

Closing the solenoid full time would put lots of stress on the clutches, and would net a 40/60 or whatever split.

You can go FWD, you can't go RWD.

With a manual transmission, you CAN go RWD with a conversion kit. I've been thinking about giving it a shot since I have a spare center differential. I would really just like to do it so I could do burnouts and drift and such. Mostly for photo-opportunity shots, then convert back to AWD. I can burnout and drift with AWD too, but there's a lot less smoke it seems.
    94SS. Loud. Fast. DogBox. For Sale.
    91SS. Parts.
    98 Pimp Forester. Daily Duty

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    Oh, and FWD can only happen in the Automatics. Manual Transmission Subaru's (except the models with DCCD) have a viscous type center diff.
    94SS. Loud. Fast. DogBox. For Sale.
    91SS. Parts.
    98 Pimp Forester. Daily Duty

Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    I knew about it not being so good to drive around in FWD mode but hey i figured it was worth asking about the RWD thanks for the super fast reply