Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to possibly buy a 2006 Legacy GT with a manual

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Looking to possibly buy a 2006 Legacy GT with a manual

A small dealership around my area have a 2006 LGT for sale. Very clean second owner with 86.000 on it. Clean Car Fax as well. What kind of Subaru specific things should I be looking for even though there is no modifications done to the car at all? They are looking to get $13.000. I think the are high with that price as well.
    1995 AWD Legacy L wagon 5MT (DD)
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5MT

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    I would ask for a compression and leak down test. Also if it has the banjo bolt filter, it needs to go.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by 98legwag View Post
    I would ask for a compression and leak down test. Also if it has the banjo bolt filter, it needs to go.
    Thanks,is the banjo bolt filter visible without tools? I know it is the oil feed line for the turbo and it seems to be an issue with these LGT's

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Quote Originally Posted by Zangado1 View Post
    Thanks,is the banjo bolt filter visible without tools? I know it is the oil feed line for the turbo and it seems to be an issue with these LGT's
    To be honest, I am not sure since I have an H6. Someone with a GT should be able to answer that.

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    It's barely visible, and all but inaccessible without removing the uppipe support bracket. I can probably snap a couple pics on my 05 tomorrow.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by 86bratman View Post
    It's barely visible, and all but inaccessible without removing the uppipe support bracket. I can probably snap a couple pics on my 05 tomorrow.
    Thank for your efforts. I would like to see what it looks like so I know what to look for. It just seems too good to be true to find this car with 86.000 miles on it. The Car Fax is not listing too much service history in detail. Curious if the turbo has been replaced or not since reading through the forum it seems to be an issue early on with these models.

Level
    Achievements:

This is on my 05, we're looking at the back of the head directly in front of the turbo. As you can see the stud on my uppipe snapped when I was removing the bracket to get to this stupid banjo bolt. Not a huge worry to me because the other bracket is intact and I've been running both this car and my swapped 97 without the smaller bracket.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Also the biggest issue with the vf40 is it has a tiny impeller shaft, that coupled with poor oil supply from a clogged banjo bolt and not having a strict oil change schedule using synthetic oil is what takes them out.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    The banjo bolt is also sometimes called a mesh filter... basically it clogs up and starves the turbo of lubrication (and cooling) and KABOOM.

Other than that, it's a turbo AWD car - what else would be wrong? At 80k, it should have had a t-belt and other accessory belts and filters changed, and you should also check for clutch engagement. Very likely it was purchased by someone in their late 50s, who now cannot drive a manual car and probably traded it.

Check for sludge around the drain pan, rear diff plugs, on the axles etc. Look for weird scuff marks on the wheels, or brake dust staining - that usually points to someone who hasn't done either tire rotations, or doesn't wash the car.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:

This is on my 05, we're looking at the back of the head directly in front of the turbo. As you can see the stud on my uppipe snapped when I was removing the bracket to get to this stupid banjo bolt. Not a huge worry to me because the other bracket is intact and I've been running both this car and my swapped 97 without the smaller bracket.
    Thanks for the photo. I thought that is what it looked like the banjo bolt. Gotta dig in there to look for that at this dealership.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
    The banjo bolt is also sometimes called a mesh filter... basically it clogs up and starves the turbo of lubrication (and cooling) and KABOOM.

Other than that, it's a turbo AWD car - what else would be wrong? At 80k, it should have had a t-belt and other accessory belts and filters changed, and you should also check for clutch engagement. Very likely it was purchased by someone in their late 50s, who now cannot drive a manual car and probably traded it.

Check for sludge around the drain pan, rear diff plugs, on the axles etc. Look for weird scuff marks on the wheels, or brake dust staining - that usually points to someone who hasn't done either tire rotations, or doesn't wash the car.
    Great points...Thanks for your opinion. I would have thought the T belt is a little later in the service to do list like around 100.000. But im going to see if there are any markings under the hood or service decals.

Level
    Achievements:
    Glad I stayed away from that LGT I was looking at. Under the hood all of the plastic fasteners were missing holding the engine cover on top of the motor. And the plastic air intake that fastens to the upper radiator shroud were also missing. The trans was hard to engage between gears as well. I also notice where the front seats fastened to the floor on top of the carpet it was rusted real bad. Shady car for sure. I thing the car fax was photo shopped! Thanks guys im still looking....

Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    Just to add, timing belt service is not only mileage based but also age as it is a rubber component. Rule of thumb on a Subaru (backed up by the owner's manual) is 105,000 miles or 105 months. So a 2006 should've had the timing belt replaced once already regardless of mileage.
    99 Legacy GT WRX - Now for sale!
    05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT Wagon - Stock-ish.
    02 Outback Limited 5MT - Lifted, Dual Range
    84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/6-speed
    85 Silverado - Low and slow tow rig

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphius View Post
    Just to add, timing belt service is not only mileage based but also age as it is a rubber component. Rule of thumb on a Subaru (backed up by the owner's manual) is 105,000 miles or 105 months. So a 2006 should've had the timing belt replaced once already regardless of mileage.
    So difficult to find one of these cars that has not been modified. The service records were not available for the car either. It started out in Florida until it hit 20.000 miles then went to upstate New York. It had 86.000 on it and they wanted $13.000 for it. I think it was previously modified and someone put all the factory components back on it to get the better trade in value. Im on my second timing belt now on my BK and the car has 266.000. Im looking at 06 and 07 WRX/STi's now as well. Im learning to be patient.

Level
    Achievements:
    On your 95 BK, if you've changed the t-belt at 105k and 210k, and it is 20 years old, you're averaging quite a bit more than 105 months between changes. Of course on that car, if the belt breaks it's simply an inconvenience since it is non-interference. I knew of a one-owner Subaru one time that was still on it's original timing belt with 220k miles and 13 years of use, so maybe they are a bit overbuilt.

Patience is a virtue, especially when you're looking for a nice, unmodified turbo Subaru! I have confidence you'll find what you are looking for eventually. I would much rather have a well-sorted, comfortable, quick LGT over an STI, but that's just my personal preference.

I just picked up a clean title, never modified 05 Legacy GT Limited with 131k miles for $3,000. The downside is that it has a 5EAT automatic, a bad turbo and spun rod bearings. I've torn down the engine and just waiting on my new turbo and shortblock to arrive for reassembly. They do seem to fetch quite a high price in nice condition, especially here in the PNW.

Level
    Achievements:
    On your 95 BK, if you've changed the t-belt at 105k and 210k, and it is 20 years old, you're averaging quite a bit more than 105 months between changes. Of course on that car, if the belt breaks it's simply an inconvenience since it is non-interference. I knew of a one-owner Subaru one time that was still on it's original timing belt with 220k miles and 13 years of use, so maybe they are a bit overbuilt.

Patience is a virtue, especially when you're looking for a nice, unmodified turbo Subaru! I have confidence you'll find what you are looking for eventually. I would much rather have a well-sorted, comfortable, quick LGT over an STI, but that's just my personal preference.

I just picked up a clean title, never modified 05 Legacy GT Limited with 131k miles for $3,000. The downside is that it has a 5EAT automatic, a bad turbo and spun rod bearings. I've torn down the engine and just waiting on my new turbo and shortblock to arrive for reassembly. They do seem to fetch quite a high price in nice condition, especially here in the PNW.

Awesome find....I would rather find an LGT myself unmolested but it is hard. Especially a wagon (both in a manual as well) The wagons in a manual LGT are like a unicorn! The WRX/STI's are more available here in my area. Im seeing a lot of unmolested ones at small dealerships for sale. I feel a lot more secure buying one of these cars from a dealer since they have so many hidden issues like banjo bolts for one. I heard a story of a guy who bought an 06 LGT private and after he had the oil changed a week later after the purchase there was a rod knock. Here he found out the previous owner put a heavy weight oil in it just to sell it. Im keeping my BK for my daily/work car. But after selling my S60 Volvo im ready for another Subie but turboed.

Level
    Achievements:
    Good news. Found an 05 LGT "Limited" sedan in REGAL BLUE PEARL. Only two upgrades that I can notice from a good inspection being a SPT short intake. And a Invidia down pipe. All else looks stock on the car including the exhaust and suspension. Have all the service records from the previous owner so im pretty comfortable with the purchase. 100.000 it just turned and the timing belt is a gates put on at 91.000. I will have pictures sometime next week after they put on new Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets that are barely an issue but were brought up by the service manager. Im making them put them on to seal the deal. Im just wondering why every LGT I have have looked at that the top plastic engine shrouds are always unfastened with no hardware. Is this the norm to have these unfastened? Thanks guys....:smt048

Level
    Achievements:
    Nice to hear you found one! Can't wait to see some pictures. My engine cover was unfastened too... I think people for some reason lose the clips. Doesn't make sense to me either. There's 4 clips and they are $2.10 each at my local dealer so I ordered them up along with all my gaskets. Part number is 909130051 if you are interested.

Mine sitting next to my friend's 08 Spec.B and my 99 Legacy GT with a turbo swap and 6-speed.

80k mile 2011 STI shortblock going in, along with 15k mile rebuilt heads and a 3k mile VF40. All new gaskets. Should be a good engine.

Level
    Achievements:
    Nice to hear you found one! Can't wait to see some pictures. My engine cover was unfastened too... I think people for some reason lose the clips. Doesn't make sense to me either. There's 4 clips and they are $2.10 each at my local dealer so I ordered them up along with all my gaskets. Part number is 909130051 if you are interested.

Mine sitting next to my friend's 08 Spec.B and my 99 Legacy GT with a turbo swap and 6-speed.

80k mile 2011 STI shortblock going in, along with 15k mile rebuilt heads and a 3k mile VF40. All new gaskets. Should be a good engine.
    Awesome! Thanks for the part numbers for the cover. Im reading up on all the possible issues that these 05-06 LGT's have. Seems like the "Banjo Bolt" is the most common issue. Looks like frequent oil changes are the way to go with these cars. The previous owner on the car fax has Subaru dealer oil changes out the wazzooo! It seems that the passenger side valve cover gasket and CV boot give out frequently as well from the heat pumping off the turbo. And wheel bearings are a common failure too. This car has a recent new clutch and also had the 5 speed repaired back in 07 at the Subaru dealer when it was in double digit miles which tends to show up as an issue in some cars. But this trans is smooth and silky for sure. Subaru Dealer maintained from the day it was purchased and im getting all the original invoices from this Ford dealer im buying it from when I pick up the car this week because the original owner is a friend and business associate and traded it in for a new SUV. I don't see any red flags that's why I pulled the trigger! I just saw a LGT in my area on Craigs List that has the STI swap. It must be a Subie wet dream come true! http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5205274335.html

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Wheel bearings can be an issue too. But the hub/bearing assembly on the 4th gen is a bolt on part.

Level
    Achievements:
    I forgot about the wheel bearings, my 05 needed both rears done when I bought it @ 129k. They aren't that hard for a diy'er I probably have about an hour and a half in each side.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Yeah, the 05-06 were really bad. It was "redesigned" for 07. From what I have heard it was bad enough that Subaru would replace bad rears on 05s and some 06s up to 100k or 8 years under warranty.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by 98legwag View Post
    Yeah, the 05-06 were really bad. It was "redesigned" for 07. From what I have heard it was bad enough that Subaru would replace bad rears on 05s and some 06s up to 100k or 8 years under warranty.
    So now I have found out my car has a up pipe and down pipe both Invidia. My check engine like came on and it is a P0420. My Subie Guru said I need to buy an access port to be able to use the car to a reliable state and eliminate codes and monitor the vehicles performance. These cars are finicky with bolt on's so he said it was a good idea to use it and be informed. Anybody have any good info or direction to go in regarding these Cobb or Perrin etc programmers?

Level
    Achievements:
    Personally I would spend the money on a tactrix cable and an e-tune from one of the vendors on legacygt.com before I would spend money on an accessport. the Cobb ots maps are too generic, and it costs more money to get a Cobb protune than an open source protune.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Personally I would spend the money on a tactrix cable and an e-tune from one of the vendors on legacygt.com before I would spend money on an accessport. the Cobb ots maps are too generic, and it costs more money to get a Cobb protune than an open source protune.
    Im lost on the tactrix cable and an e-tune? This form of tune is better and cheaper than the Cobb or Perrin equipment available? Still safe and reliable as well?
    This is all new to me coming from a BK with a 2.2 N/A

Level
    Achievements:
    Do a google/yahoo search for subaru open source tuning, you'll find a lot more resources than I can spout out for you. The e-tuning route is a little more involved from the users perspective, but you get a tune that is custom mode for your car, your mods, your fuel availability, and your altitude than what you'll get from a Cobb off the shelf tune.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Do a google/yahoo search for subaru open source tuning, you'll find a lot more resources than I can spout out for you. The e-tuning route is a little more involved from the users perspective, but you get a tune that is custom mode for your car, your mods, your fuel availability, and your altitude than what you'll get from a Cobb off the shelf tune.
    Thanks im going to look into this a little more to learn the options to what is available and what im getting into....

Level
    Achievements:
    Looking for some swap/conversion info for the 05 LGT suspension. What years of WRX/STI strut shocks will swap over? The thread on "Threads Of Note" here is not available. Thanks...

Level
    Achievements:
    None are a direct swap, and honestly not worth it. There are as many suspension options for the 4th Gen legacy as there are for the wrx/sti platform.
    My 1997 Legacy L

Fuelly

Level
    Achievements:
    Name:  IMG_0968.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  2.42 MB im going to search for a new set of Bilsteins or Koni's with a set of springs as well. Your right,There is no sense in going the "Save a buck" route with all of the options available for these cars that I am starting to see online.
    Last edited by Zangado1; 09-12-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: picture upload

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast