Thread: rkrenicki's 1992 Subaru Sambar SDX - 2021-05-07 - Stirring from slumber...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    I love the little Kei cars, I wish they were street legal here. I really need to look into it again, I wonder if it is over 25 years old if I can register it and drive one anyways.
    Unless there is a specific law in your state, any Kei vehicle over 25 years old is street legal. As far as I know, there are only state laws that pertain to Kei Trucks sold as "off-road use" and not Kei Cars, or trucks imported as passenger vehicles.

Connecticut has no state law, so Kei vehicles (Trucks or Cars) are just vehicles with no restrictions. Colorado is the same way in that respect. They would just have to meet whatever requirements your state has for 25+ year vehicles.

Connecticut has no real restrictions for 25+ year old cars. I only have to do a VIN verification, and pay for registration. No emissions, no safety inspection, nothing. Of course, I will still have to jump through the hoops of a non-ISO VIN.. but that should not be too difficult.

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    Unless there is a specific law in your state, any Kei vehicle over 25 years old is street legal. As far as I know, there are only state laws that pertain to Kei Trucks sold as "off-road use" and not Kei Cars, or trucks imported as passenger vehicles.

Connecticut has no state law, so Kei vehicles (Trucks or Cars) they are just vehicles with no restrictions. Colorado is the same way in that respect. They would just have to meet whatever requirements your state has for 25+ year vehicles.

Connecticut has no real restrictions for 25+ year old cars. I only have to do a VIN verification, and pay for registration. No emissions, no safety inspection, nothing. Of course, I will still have to jump through the hoops of a non-ISO VIN.. but that should not be too difficult.
    Hmm, I'll be researching then. It sounds like it depends on how it was imported more than anything.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    Hmm, I'll be researching then. It sounds like it depends on how it was imported more than anything.
    I am going to bring this to PM, as to not clutter up this thread. Once I am done with the process, I will be writing up a "DIY" thread with everything that has to happen. I have made a lot of phone calls and research over the last two weeks, and I have learned a lot that I want to share.