Quote Originally Posted by d1giPhux
looks good man! How did you pull the gauge faces off? I thought people use to have a really hard time with sanding the green stuff off the faces, but you found some way to easily remove them? Looks great.. think I might have to do this since my bulbs are always wearing out and dying and crap!

btw, where did you get the led's from? online? how much they cost you? What 'color' are they considered? I see a couple different 'white' colors on ebay.

Any more info about soldering the wires to the copper, and what connections go where? Does it solder easy, or do you have to be careful not to burn through and such? Did you use flux?

Thanks.
I can't tell you how he did his but I can tell you how I did mine. I just replaced the bulbs with matching LEDs after removing the green stuff and I have hot spots and two different color whites to address so I guess I need some strip lights.

The gauge package comes out easily, and some connectors on the back. You will find I believe 14 screws that hold the various gauges in the package. This mod involves removing all of them. Watch the screws, some are different sizes. I used a dremel to sand off the green stuff. Do not remove the needles!! When you get to the parts on the speedometer and tach that you cannot get clear like the rpm x1000 in the center, gentle unscrew the two small #1 phillips screws on the gauge face and rotate the face counterclockwise 180 deg to not disturb the needles and secure it with the screws. Then you have access to the rest of the things to sand. Reverse the process to reinstall.

I don't have the FSM handy (I'm at work), but there is a page or two in the wiring diagram section that deals with illumination. From that you should be able to find the pins on the connector that is positive and negative. The soldering should be fairly easy, no additional flux should be needed, just regular electronic solder, tin the wires and the trace on the plastic thing and bring them together with a tinned iron.

When I did my gauges, HVAC and switches, I had a 9 volt battery with some paper clips taped to the top to provide voltage at my bench (dining room table ) to test my work without a trip to the car.