Thread: AssYriaNrocKer's 98 GT build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu_haneda View Post
    Hope you are doing very well. It’s been a long time since I’ve driven a BD GT, I saw one on the road and was like WOW

Wow...no post since 2019...

I have been well. Well and busy. I have since sold the 95 Toyota 22re 4 runner. It was my baby for over a decade and took me on many adventures. However given the circumstances (divorce), I was forced to make some financial changes. I refuse to let go of the GT and the 4runner had blown rings so the choice was easy. I collected my pennies and continued to play with the GT. Unfortunately that has led to a minor setback, but rest assured I had a huge smile on my face the whole time.

It was the beginning of the pandemic sometime in February 2020 around 9pm on an eerily open highway. literally not a soul in sight; no police; no traffic; no one at traffic lights. I decided it was a great time to have some fairly safe fun on the highway. I do not condone unsafe driving on public roads ...I just figured it was so empty it was a once in a lifetime chance to have some fun right on I94. Going down a smooth straight away I was accelerating somewhere around 135mph (beyond the numbers on the speedo) and just under redline. As soon as I released the accelerator the engine shut off and was unable to restart. I was able to safely stop on my exit and was towed home by a co-worker. I have since purchased a new home and towed it into the new garage. She hasn't ran since but I have a decent garage to work in now: compressor, air tools, bench, engine stand, engine hoist, etc. So needless to say I just pulled her out and.....the rod bearings are toast! Bank one head did not seem to have any damage to the cam journals what so ever but bank 2 suffered some minor scoring. I am going to take the heads over to a local machine shop to get a better assessment. I am currently on the hunt for a 2.5 NA DOHC engine. Much harder to find than I expected. Might end up buying a whole running car and just pull the engine. YYESSS I do eventually want a turbo setup but I would really like to have this thing running in the mean time. So....Anyone local to southern Wisconsin have a 2.5 laying around?

Can someone verify for me, are my photos in this thread still viewable? I'll try to post some photos.

Hope everyone has been having as much fun as I have with their Legacy.

-RONI-

Last edited by AssYriaNrocKer; 12-17-2022 at 04:38 PM.