Thread: Third Gen Black Faced Meter (BFM) Information - 2015-01-09

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill1977 View Post
    #1 Do the sockets from Mouser include the necessary male pins and a short bit of lead to solder a small gauge wire to? It is tough to tell from the pics and I'm hoping to build an interface harness, as opposed to re-pinning the wiring in my car.
    The male connectors do have the pins in them, but be very careful soldering to them as the plastic has a tendency to melt. I recommend removing the pins, trimming them down, soldering, heat shrinking, and reinserting them. They just pull straight out.

#2 Are the halo rings supposed to be a very dim beige/brown color? Even at full brightness, by joining C2 & C3, the halo ring colors look pretty "washed out".
    It looks to me that several of your halo bulbs are burned out. They are quite a bit dimmer than the backlight, but they should be pretty noticeable either way.

#3 What a good source for the small gauge wiring used in auto harnesses? This looks to be 20-22 gauge wire based on my wire stripping tool.
    Any electronic store or auto parts store will have it. Otherwise there is always Amazon or even Mouser.com

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Back to the P0462 Error code on non D type BFM's - Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like this code gets thrown if the input voltage on the ECU monitoring pin of the fuel gauge circuit drops to 0. Honestly, I'm thinking who the heck cares? I'm going to throw together a simple circuit that just always provides 4v to the ECU monitor pin and see if that stops the code from being thrown. It's always a transient fluctuation in the cluster anyway and why the heck the Subaru decided that having a faulty fuel gauge should throw a check engine light I don't know... I'll report back, the parts are OTW