Swapped front fenders with an outback dude looking to do a JDM RS30 conversion. Why? I have the the front subframe off an 05 STI - 20mm wider track. Even with about 2* of neg camber, I would occasionally get rubbing on my rolled stock fenders, depending on wheel offset and tire width. The outback fenders have about 1/4" more flare to them allowing more clearance; besides wider flares are sexy!

The outback fenders bolt up to all the factory mounting points. However, the only differance is in the lower area where it meets the sideskirts. I chose NOT to run sideskirts (I never really liked the GT ones, liked the more elegant curve the L/no sideskirt has). So I had to fix the fenders.

2 areas - the trim and the mounting point for the sideskirt had to be modified:

The trim can be easily addressed by cutting the lower portion and touching up the paint (there's a bump in the outback fender behind the trim, so eliminating the trim altogether isn't an option).

Time to fill in the bottom hole/mounting point. First flatten it out with hammer. Sand the area off, front and back.

Then put some mesh to have the body filler something to grab onto.

Fill in with body filler, sand it down

Use spot putty to smooth out and pinholes and contours

Primer, paint, clear coat it.

Finished!

Mounting is the reverse
You may need to massage the bumper cover sides, but they line up very nicely for the most part.

Now if you aren't as fortunate as me and not have a donor with the same exact paint code, you'll need to have the entire fender painted to match.
Before:

After:

Other views: