Thread: DIY: BE Cluster trunk ajar warning light mod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

DIY: BE Cluster trunk ajar warning light mod

This is probably one of the easiest mods that I have ever done. It took significantly longer to research than to do the mod itself.

You will need the following items:
    Wire cutters
    Pliers
    Red wire splice (Can be found at Radio Shack for $2.49 for 7, you will only need 1)

Remove the trim panel from the passenger side foot well. This trim includes the door sill, and is secured by 5 snaps underneath and two plastic push-pins.

In the corner, you will find 4 connector junctions. The two that we are interested in are the Blue one (i53, 16 pin), and the largest white one (B99, 32 pin).

On the Blue i53 Connector, find the Yellow wire with a blue stripe. It will be on the side coming from the dashboard, but there will be no other wire on the other side of the connector. Cut this wire and free it up from the loom a bit.

On the White B99 connector, find the yellow wire with a blue stripe. Pull as much as you can away from the rest of the loom. You will need to cut away some of the electrical tape that is holding the loom together.

Using the wire tap, connect these two wires together. It takes a little doing to get the wires to reach, but it will make it just fine.

Put everything back together, and you are done! This is a shot of my BFM with the trunk indicator illuminated, but this mod will also work on USDM clusters just fine.

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Old thread, I know...
    I just looked at doing this on my BE. I figured out a cleaner way to do it.
    Both plugs the yellow/blue doesnt have a wire coming out on the other side. So next time Im at the wreckers, I will pull a yellow/blue wire with male pin and a yellow/blue wire with female pin and I need 6-8" of wire between them. Splice them together with a bit of solder and shrinktube.
    I really hate vampire taps, can you tell?!

Edit:
    My first inspection was wrong, only on the blue plug was there only 1 leg. The white plug had an in & out. I used a yellow/blue wire with female pin, inserted in the empty spot on the lower blue plug. Routed it over along the harness and then soldered the splice into the yellow/blue out of the lower white plug.
    Last edited by Sub-Goon; 10-25-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Goon View Post
    Old thread, I know...
    I just looked at doing this on my BE. I figured out a cleaner way to do it.
    Both plugs the yellow/blue doesnt have a wire coming out on the other side. So next time Im at the wreckers, I will pull a yellow/blue wire with male pin and a yellow/blue wire with female pin and I need 6-8" of wire between them. Splice them together with a bit of solder and shrinktube.
    I really hate vampire taps, can you tell?!
    I do too. I ended up re-doing it on my car at some point, but the basic idea here is still correct

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Or... you buy a wagon.
    (Oh no you didn't!!)
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free